Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

A quick rundown of each of the 2013 Tesla Model S charging we hit during our road trip up and down the I-5.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Here in the northeast, we are blessed with mostly-independent and local-chain eateries and drinkeries and coffee shops. I am not into chains at all, and when I travel I like to sample the local specialties and meet the local folks...that's one of the reasons I like to drive when I travel. Unfortunately traveling in the Tesla is not going to be conducive to this kind of soaking-up-the-local-flavor, unless you don't mind making one stop to hit the Supercharger and another stop to hit an interesting restaurant or the local meeting place. Just a lot easier with an ICE to get away from the superslab and find the kinds of people and places that prove that American is still more than just one big strip mall. And the alternative, Tesla teaming up with "affluent brands" at these middle-of-nowhere SC locations, is going to CREATE strip malls - more sprawl. Lots of Tesla's highly-educated, affluent owner base is into small-footprint, tread lightly, buy-local, higher population densities/new urbanism...so it's tough to see how the whole SC experience gells with these folks.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Here in the northeast, we are blessed with mostly-independent and local-chain eateries and drinkeries and coffee shops. I am not into chains at all, and when I travel I like to sample the local specialties and meet the local folks...that's one of the reasons I like to drive when I travel. Unfortunately traveling in the Tesla is not going to be conducive to this kind of soaking-up-the-local-flavor, unless you don't mind making one stop to hit the Supercharger and another stop to hit an interesting restaurant or the local meeting place. Just a lot easier with an ICE to get away from the superslab and find the kinds of people and places that prove that American is still more than just one big strip mall. And the alternative, Tesla teaming up with "affluent brands" at these middle-of-nowhere SC locations, is going to CREATE strip malls - more sprawl. Lots of Tesla's highly-educated, affluent owner base is into small-footprint, tread lightly, buy-local, higher population densities/new urbanism...so it's tough to see how the whole SC experience gells with these folks.
  • paco3791paco3791 Member Posts: 4
    This, http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/, is a great interactive map for the SuperChargers next time your planning a trip or just want to get up to date on where new Chargers are going in.
  • paco3791paco3791 Member Posts: 4
    This, http://www.teslawiki.net/supercharger/, is a great interactive map for the SuperChargers next time your planning a trip or just want to get up to date on where new Chargers are going in.
  • cbrandi_cbrandi_ Member Posts: 40
    So what if you don't have a dog to walk. Out of the entire trip how much time was spent recharging the car? This doesn't sound like a car for those who have miles to cover and not a lot of time.
    So what if you don't have a dog to walk. Out of the entire trip how much time was spent recharging the car? This doesn't sound like a car for those who have miles to cover and not a lot of time.
    If it takes 15 hours to drive that trip, you spent approximately an additional 3 hours recharging, or a 20% additional travel time, for a total of 18 hours.
    If it takes 15 hours to drive that trip, you spent approximately an additional 3 hours recharging, or a 20% additional travel time, for a total of 18 hours.
  • djwdjwdjwdjw Member Posts: 21
    Sounds a bit like a first world problem.

Take a book :)
  • djwdjwdjwdjw Member Posts: 21
    Sounds a bit like a first world problem.

Take a book :)
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    +1 cbrandi the Tesla is a car for those who don't go far or don't have time limits. Otherwise the VW TDI or really any full size sedan or coupe would be a better choice for trips like these.------------------ Now of course once the battery tech gets bette
  • hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    +1 cbrandi the Tesla is a car for those who don't go far or don't have time limits. Otherwise the VW TDI or really any full size sedan or coupe would be a better choice for trips like these.------------------ Now of course once the battery tech gets bette