Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

This is the second time I've walked out to our 2013 Tesla Model S in the morning to find all four power windows rolled down.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Good thing you guys didn't get rained on during the night. Otherwise, the "What the..." might turn into a "Son of a..."
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    It is the built in demo mode on the car. It rolls down the windows so passers-by can get a closer look at the car. And take home souvenirs.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Sounds like your standard "leaned on the keyfob and accidentally rolled the windows down" to me. Happens fairly often to people with various cars at my office...
  • Options
    tokyorushtokyorush Member Posts: 24
    Cobryson is likely right. If you hold down the button on the key fob (the roof of the car), it will roll down all of the windows. Easy to do by accident.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    ^ If that's true, then there's probably a way to disable it in the settings. Or at least I hope there is, because I would find myself accidentally rolling down the windows all. the. time.
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    What the others are saying on here is probably what happened to you, if you hold the top button down for 2 seconds all the windows roll down. I love the feature, but not the way it is executed here. For example, on my S550 the key has to be physically pointed at a sensor on the door. That dramatically lessens the chance of an accidental use of the feature. Similarly, Tesla doesn't provide a means to roll all the windows back up once they are down. With the Benz, you just hold the Lock button and they all go back up. Tesla nailed most things on the Model S, but there are still obvious areas where you can tell they are new to this.
  • Options
    dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    Fix coming to allow disabling of this feature. This is a common problem as evidenced on the forums.
  • Options
    vwkidd1vwkidd1 Member Posts: 1
    I bet i know what happening... Do you keep you key in your back pocket? If you do you may be sitting on the key. If you press and hold on the top of the key fob - the windows roll down.
  • Options
    stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    The accidental key fob explanation is probably right, but for the sake of whimsy I'm going to accuse Mike of taking advantage of the fact that he works at techy-kind of company and convinced one of your tech guys to hack the app and add that functionality in, just to mess with you.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    ^ Actually, that was my first thought after reading the original post. :P
  • Options
    shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    That will come in handy when it is raining out...
    I hate new cars for reasons like this, just a lot of useless stuff to go wrong.
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    it's the new insecurity feature. naw, somehow he's playing with you
  • Options
    noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    I know Honda Accords have a similar feature but there is a special sequence and it will also roll back up too. I found that out explaining how it happened to a co worker who thought her 2011 (was having a problem. And it worked on another co worker's 2004. You have to read the manual.
  • Options
    dubartimusdubartimus Member Posts: 2
    I have a Tesla. Chances are you are hitting the top of your key (the roof) and holding it down for too long. Or you wear really tight pants...:). If you hold the roof part of the key down for a second or so all the windows go down.

Let me know if this helps.
  • Options
    evjuiceevjuice Member Posts: 0
    It's the key fob in your pocket Dan.