Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2012 Volkswagen Beetle Long Term Road Test

Read daily updates on our long-term road test of the 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo and follow along as our editors live with this car for a year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Although I completely agree that the last generation Beetle was overly feminine, I am little concerned with the "one of the very worst cars on the planet" comment. Nobody thought that it was extremely fast, really comfortable, or stylish, or advanced... But it's simplicity and reliability outsold any other vehicle ever, a fact lost on today's industry in my opinion. It shaped culture and became an icon. Please, please go talk to some "old-timer" about a Beetle or 2CV (I don't think that those came to the U.S.) to really find out what these little things were all really about, you'll get some great stories! I apologize for that rant but I really don't think most of your first paragraph is worthy of an automotive journalist.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    Sorry Scott... the VW Beetle remains very much a girls car.
  • noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    Only the Turbo prevents the car from being a estrogen storage box. When you see it in person is when the fm factor is confirmed. Give me a Golf over "style" any day. And I agree with quadricycle--far from being the worst car on the planet (those were either Fiats, French cars, or Vega/Pinto in the day). Cheap is more like it, not lousy. I just remember the miserable climate controls (non-existent heat, defrost, etc.) noise, and slowness, and, I think, the battery under the back seat? But the Bug went through snow like nobody's business, and almost anyone could take out the engine/trans and perform major service.
  • jederinojederino Member Posts: 0
    @quadricylce, I agree that the original Beattle was fun in its own way to drive, and inspired many a mechanic, so there must have been something good about it!
  • ne_blackshirtsne_blackshirts Member Posts: 56
    COME ON EDMUNDS!!!!! Lets completely take the girly factor away with a Stage 1 Tune from APR!!! That and a Cold Air Intake with for sure add a lot of Testosterone!!!
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    You are kidding yourself.....it's still VERY girly.