Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Yes, we've already killed a tire on our newest long-term test car, the 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Driving around on a punctured tire with a medium-slow leak? Sounds more dangerous than driving around with the donut spare especially on the back.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    Lug bolts...
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    One you know the caps are there it's no big deal. Once you know there are lug bolts instead of lug nuts, that's no big deal, either - you lift the car just high enough to get the tire off, not 5 inches in the air like this guy.
    Also, going by the book is all fine and good, but with that small a puncture, that new (no moisture has gotten between the plies yet), I would have plugged it.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    @fordson1: The car is on a lift in the first picture. When the tech is actually changing the tire, it's obviously lifted to your exact specification. Sheesh.

I'm sure you mean a mushroom plug not just a plug but it's still crazy. You have no idea wh
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Eriches, your last couple of posts have all been about crisis management! Talk about keeping a cool head under stressful circumstances.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    nice story. next prediction: rock damage to the windshield. Flats and glass have been a big problem the past few years, unfortunately.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    Continental generally has one of the better road hazard warranties. At only 1300 miles you may have gotten a free tire or a very good price reduction.
    @mfennell: yeah, looks like the photos of the nail in the tire were taken with the car on a lift, but the photos of the new tire going on were taken with it on a floor jack - and yes, the tech did just get it off the floor. I have a pretty good idea of
  • ericheseriches Member Posts: 80
    @ fordson1: I got a "no" from the shop manager on repairing the tire..... Re: "SoCal is way too $$$..." Tell me about it! ......

@ s197gt: I didn't think to inquire about road hazard coverage. My mistake and an unfortunate one.
  • mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    @fordson1: " I think you mean "tire manufacturers' legal departments all agree." " Yeah, and why do you think THAT is? 'cause they're all nannies or 'cause they think that dead customers are bad for business? And do tell about the i
    Oh, I knew you would get a "no" from the tire place on fixing it - I would just fix that myself, but of course I would be in the position of owning the car and making that determination myself, too.

I think you could still go back to the tire place and make a road hazard claim - it's pretty will documented what happened. Worth a try, I think.
  • mustang5507mustang5507 Member Posts: 2
    Did the TPMS light go away? I just had my tire patched in my TDI Golf last weekend, and the light has not gone away. I need to have them look into that when it gets the 20k mile shortly - all my tires are up to spec now...
  • mustang5507mustang5507 Member Posts: 2
    ...oh and my OBD-II reader doesn't pick up the code so I can't clear it myself!
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Typically, I would try to plug this tire myself at home if it was more worn, just to get the tread to the end of its service life.

However, with only 1296 miles on it, I'd rather not drive another 20-30k miles on it with a plug in the tire. The replacement tire will virtually match the others this early in the game. So I think replacing it was the right call.
  • mrh1965mrh1965 Member Posts: 6
    Can't help but be reminded of the continental's on my 2003 Passat. Nice ride but after three flats in the first 37,000 miles I was happy to part with them. I guess it was just dumb luck, but I've never had a flat since then (circa 2006) and can only think of one other in my life.