Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

After 5,000 miles, our gas-powered 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI is starting to get closer to its projected mileage numbers.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mischiefsmischiefs Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys - in your code for the Passat TSI articles it looks like you kept the link labels from your Passat TDI articles; checkout the Previous and Next links at the bottom of each page.
  • Options
    donnaderosadonnaderosa Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. I'll have it fixed. -- Donna
  • Options
    handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    Very impressive. My 2008 Rabbit, a base 2 door with the 2.5 and manual, gets about 23 mpg in an 80/20 city/highway split. Best I've ever seen is about 29 on a pure highway trip. 27 mpg in a bigger vehicle with better performance is making me wonder what the Golf with the 1.8 turbo would do.
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Bought a Jetta last fall with the same motor. My opinion on the engine's performance is much the same. Only have 2k on the clock with temps below zero as of late, so I'm not too concerned with MPG, but low 30's is within reach once the weather starts to turn. Nice power down low makes for a surprisingly agile vehicle for a non-sport trim.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @handbrake: I think that the Golf will be very well suited to the 1.8 (and make TDI value questionable). With the Golf getting a little lighter for the 7th generation, I think there'll be ~300lbs of difference between it and the Passat. That's definitely
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    This is the second comment about how it "pulls all the way to redline." I think the point is not that it pulls to redline, which is nice, but that it pulls FROM IDLE. That's why you get a turbo engine.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    If this keeps up, it will come close to matching the Kia Forte's fuel economy- a car you guys keep complimenting for its fuel economy for whatever reason.
  • Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    There's just one other issue--reliability.

FULL DISCLOSURE--I own a gas 2.0TSI EOS and a 2.0TDI Passat, just got them in the past year, and the only one with a problem so far was the diesel--fuel pump went.

I took advantage of that experience to talk with the Roadside Assistance tow guy, with a big tow company. Here (in Arizona), he told me that he "pulls" gas VWs a lot, probably the third or fourth most frequent vehicle he tows (didn't specify between models), behind Neon/PT Cruisers, the first two generation Priuses, and the early 2000s Impalas. He said he hardly ever pulls a diesel VW, and while I reminded him they are far fewer in number, he said no, his and the experience of the other guys (60-plus tow units) is that VW diesels are far more reliable, far better constructed.

Right now my experience (warranty, by the way) is flipped, but its early. The EOS gets 27.4 average when I drive it, and the diesel gets about 41.7. Your mileage (including my wife's, ahem) may vary...