Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

External trunk lid hinges on our 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI are the only blemish on an otherwise excellent trunk design.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Boxing them in wastes some nooks and crannies that can be useful for small stuff--even a briefcase in some cars. It's too bad cost-cutting has eliminated the scissor hinges with gas lifts that didn't intrude, even on expensive cars like the Audi A4. Ironically, obsolete cars like the old Chrysler 200 and Dodge Stratus still had them after they disappeared on newer, nicer cars. But to give buyers what's mandated and what they think they want, the money goes where it can be seen and touched.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    How are these external hinges when they fit INSIDE the trunk? Colour me baffled.
  • Options
    jfbar167jfbar167 Member Posts: 1
    That is a PET PEEVE of mine (ever since I was "spoiled" by the gas support scissor setup in my 2000 Olds Intruige). I use my car (Jetta) for work with a full trunk, and that is a real pain. Can also, if not careful, screw up the trunk alignment by forcing it closed. NOT many cars nowadays have the supports as they ALL go the cheaper route. At least hatches and CUV's still use them.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    @agentorange: this is a case of the person not knowing the correct terminology and not bothering to find it - these are called gooseneck hinges.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    External? I would call those 'internal' since they are inside the trunk vs outside. The presence of gooseneck hinges like these on anything but the most entry level of entry level sedans in 2014 continues to mystify me. How much more expensive is it to use external hinges like those found in my 10 year old MkIV Jetta?
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Its not ok since they only recently started this mess. Prior to 2012, every Vw had the nice articulating hinges that didn't bother cargo space.