Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Steering Problems

luny2ns00luny2ns00 Member Posts: 3
Recently I was driving down the road when the steering on my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LOCKED UP, which resulted in a minor crash by driving off of the road. When the truck hit an enbankment, it knocked the wheel free. I searched the net and found one other instance of this happening with a Malibu, and of course the dealer has never heard of it (the same as they never heard of my transmission problem, which everybody has). Has anyone experienced this or have an idea of what happened? Belts are all tight, fluid is fine, etc.

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have no idea what the problem would be but when you say the steering locked, do you mean the steering wheel would not turn or the steering wheel would turn but the wheels would not respond?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    The steering wheel had locked, as if the power was off.
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    To go a little further, do you mean that the power assist failed and due to the hard steering you went out of control, or the steering mechically locked like you shut it off and put it in park?
  • Options
    The steering mechanically locked like the power was off. It happened quickly, but I don't recall anything happening power - wise. The truck was still running when I came to a stop.
  • Options
    greg76greg76 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2002 trailblazer. i have been looking at mcgaughy for a lowering kit. has anyone installed one?
  • Options
    rpowersrpowers Member Posts: 24
    I just purchased an 05 TB/LT with 24k miles on it, we like the ride but the vehicle seems like you have to over-drive it all the time - correct the path or steering. It also feels a little unstable -like it's suspension is too soft and it want's to sway or lean easily -- would almost remind you of a vehicle with worn-out shocks or springs. Does anyone else feel this way? Our other vehicle is a Honda Pilot and feels much firmer and controlable? PS: If I would have read this fourm - I would not have bought a TB - after a week the keyless entry has stopped working - don't know if it's the transmitter or one of the other items I now see in the discussions.
  • Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    TB's are sprung soft in the back, no doubt about it. When you put a load on it, like towing, it firms up. If you look underneath you'll notice that it has progressive coil springs (the coils are closer together at one end than the other). I thought by 05 they all had the heavy duty anti sway bar on the back, but maybe not. I replaced the factory rear sway bar on our 02 with the Hotchkiss heavy duty one a long time ago. It really firmed it up in turns or in the wind out on the highway.
    Check the battery in your keyless remote before doing anything else.
  • Options
    jhildrethjhildreth Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer and the power steering just stopped working. No leaks, no noise, no whining, plenty of fluid. I was told if your fluid is dirty it can lock up the pressure relief valve. Any ideas?
  • Options
    malarkay_greenmalarkay_green Member Posts: 1
    so, i was driving and went to turn into a parking space and my steering wheel locked. successfully, i parked and then i turned it off, and left. when i restarted my car, the steering wheel was still locked and i could hardly turn AT ALL. It is still stuck that way. Any thoughts? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
  • Options
    cristalweekscristalweeks Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2002 Trailblazer and has had the same issue as jhildreth above. My power steering is gone. I'm trying to get the car to last another year without having to put too much money into it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.