Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Toyota Yaris Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Toyota
image2015 Toyota Yaris Road Test | Edmunds.com

This 2015 Toyota Yaris road test includes information about what's new for 2015, plus its fuel economy, price, safety and standard features like the Entune interface.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    "Trunk space is average as most competitors offer more." That would make it less than average
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    It irritates me that this is the best effort one of the largest car companies in the world is willing to make. I fully believe the axiom that there are no truly bad cars in this day & age, but this Yaris is really stretching the truth of that statement. I'm surprised Toyota went to the expense of inviting the press out to drive it because compared to a Honda Fit, this car is simply embarrassing.

• Options
    drex2drex2 Member Posts: 24
    The front end styling of this car is absolutely grotesque. Similar design language works a little better on the Corolla and 2015 Camry, but it's at best tolerable and at worst (Yaris) vomit-inducing. Then we have its aging powertrain featuring engine tech circa 2007 and its antediluvian 4AT competing against the new Fit's direct injection engine and CVT. If Toyota is so disinterested in this market space to introduce such a completely uninspired competitor, you have to wonder why they're even bothering. Between the Fit and the upcoming new Mazda 2 (Sky Activ engine, 6AT), along with the inexplicably hot selling Versa, this new Yaris will probably remain near or at the bottom of the sales charts.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    "Although it provides frugal, reliable transportation with a commendable features list, it trails its competitors in many respects. "
    Surprising to read this. I am old enough to remember how Toyota built it's US empire on cars like this. They used to be the gold standard in small cars.
  • Options
    cbrandicbrandi Member Posts: 21
    Toyota continues to thrive by continuing to offer reliable transportation appliances. They are dead feeling, travel pods. I hate them all!
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    Not to nitpick but Toyota no longer has a "sterling" reliability record. Try not to sound like you're reading from a press release. :-)
  • Options
    tacomamudpittacomamudpit Member Posts: 65
    A 4-speed automatic in the year 2015 from Toyota - what happen to Toyota? I suppose it goes without saying, because they still have "Rear Drum Brakes" (YES drum brakes) on the 2015 Tacoma and even a dated 5-speed auto. Only a couple of Toyota engines even have direct injection - year after year carry over engines and transmissions. Maybe these carry overs are reliable combinations, but the competition, has 6, 7, 8 speed transmissions, Direct Injection, Cylinder De-activation and other proven engine technologies, just say'in....
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd rather have rear drums. Never have to mess with them. Already had to fix the raddling pads on the right rear discs on my replacement minivan I picked up a few months back.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    edited October 2014
    Taken out of context, compromises like a 4 speed automatic, rear drum brakes, and tight cargo space seem like reasonable tradeoffs to keep costs down in the econo-car segment. I accepted tradeoffs like these when I bought my first car in college, years ago. The problem is the context: Today is not years ago. Many of Toyota's competitors offer better features at the same price point.
  • Options
    purple43purple43 Member Posts: 10
    Astoundingly ugly.
  • Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    Just more evidence that Toyota is leaps and bounds ahead of all other brands in the production of unattractive cars. Nobody even comes close.
  • Options
    se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    I honestly don't see any reason to purchase a Yaris over a Prius C. The cost difference of the Prius C is easily made up for in fuel cost savings. Perhaps this explains Toyota's lack of attention on this vehicle.
  • Options
    alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Toyota truly make the most grotesque looking cars on the market, closely followed by Lexus. Who in their right mind would design cars that look like their front ends are completely missing? I just don't get it.
  • Options
    corollamikecorollamike Member Posts: 29
    An absolutely useless car, this. A telescopic steering wheel is available in Europe, but not in North America. Why? Because Toyota believe we have no use for it, that's why. But the reason is that European drivers won't consider a Yaris without a telescoping wheel. Add to that the Power Rangers styling, lack of a previously-available upper glove box, and lackluster interior appointments render this car a complete and utter loser. Think about it this way: If Honda and Ford and KIA and VW and Mazda can make a subcompact worth having, why won't Toyota?
  • Options
    broodybroody Member Posts: 1
    The Yaris is one of the most honest and fun to drive cars, Americans are too blind to see it. It's got a class leading turning radius (we have some for delivery around town and it does matter) and it's low tech solutions make it the most reliable and easy to maintain car, with no bad surprises in the long run.
    I may seem bad on a specs sheet, but in reality, the whole far exceeds the sum of it's parts.

I tried a few cars (2009 fit, 2015 fit, Fiesta) and the Yaris offers the sharpest and faster wteering, while offering a very compliant ride over bumps and limited body roll. The materials in the cabin are also class leading since the 2012 model, although the new Fit does quite good too. The engine has peps in the whole rpm range and with the manual gearbox, it's more than enough, although it would be nice to see some improvments for fuel economy. My only real complaints would be the non telescopic steering (I'm tall so I drive all the way back and it's hard to reach) and the small trunk, but otherwise, it drives like a charm, with the perfect compromise of good handling and comfort.
  • Options
    worstruckworstruck Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 2009 Yaris 3 door hatch, stick shift for almost 6 years. I thought the car was fun to drive since you could use more of the car's capabilities on the legal road than most other cars. The engine is bullet proof. I had my Yaris well over 100 mph on the track. Keeping in mind that it is not a race car, it is fully capable of all day USA interstate speeds. It is a pleasure to park. I am 6 feet tall and can get into the Yaris with ease. The rear seats move forwards and back, tilt and fold down. The biggest secret is the weight of the Yaris at just over 2,000 pounds, it doesn't need a huge engine. Gassing up at the pump brings a smile to your face esp when parked next to an SUV who is also filling up. One last thing to remember is the cost of the car at the dealership. Some cars rank better but the bottom line is that they may cost thousands more which can buy a lot of gas.