Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Fuel Economy Update for September - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in BMW

imageFuel Economy Update for September - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo earned its worst mpg in the month of September.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    "Our worst tank is now at 9.8 mpg"
    "Our BMW didn't do anything too strenuous this month"

Well, the BMW disagrees. Either Edmunds miscalculated the mpg, or somebody was really hot-footing the GT.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    +1. How can you come up with a post like this...
  • Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Maybe it was stuck in traffic for many hours and wasn't doing anything strenuous but also not getting any miles.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    edited October 2014
    Agreed, @yellowbal; 9.8 mpg sounds more like idling than hot-footing to me.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    For the first few months I was amazed at how this car managed to get mpg within striking distance of the Subaru Impreza while being heavier, faster, more luxurious and more fun to drive. I guess that is no longer the case. The BMW is still all of those things but the Impreza is more efficient.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    @yellobal, it has stop-start, there is no reason that heavy traffic should result in MPG like that. Someone on Edmunds' staff must have an explanation because absent a track day there is no reason this vehicle should ever hit single digits MPG wise.
  • Options
    mizumizu Member Posts: 1
    Ya, to be honest this sounds like total bull. I have the exact same model and I'll tell you what get's you a 9.0 mpg, driving it 100 percent of the time in Sports Mode and gunning it for about 20-30 miles one way, not taking it out of Sports Mode in Congested Areas, blasting the A/C and driving with your windows down, and being annoyed and turning off the Auto-Stop feature. Know how I know this? Cuz I did it for a day and literally had to refill the very next morning. When this car is in Sports mode, no lie it sucks up gas like at a ridiculous speed....LUDICROUS SPEED!! I don't know why, but it does, even if you aren't hitting the gas hard at all, it sucks it down and you literally can see the gas needle moving. To put this as an "average" low is pretty irresponsible and needs to be taken down immediately. No joke, having that added to a lifetime average again is pretty irresponsible. Take it down and be honest, no need to lie as people reading these threads own this car and want to know where it's going, so what's the point in down-grading the MPG when it's a completely inaccurate assessment of the vehicle's performance on a day-to-day basis?