Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Express Up and Down Windows - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Volkswagen
imageExpress Up and Down Windows - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI includes many small details, including express up-down power windows, that make it a premium experience at an economy price.

Read the full story here

Comments

• iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    There's another feature, too. Open the car on a hot day, and before you enter just press and hold the driver's window-down button. A second later, all four windows will lower automatically. My Passat SE doesn't have remote start, so this is a great way to quickly cool the interior on a hot day.
  • cgrocho47cgrocho47 Member Posts: 12
    Nice feature. Also the one VW can't seem to implement well at all, since their window regulators are notorious for failing.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    My '14 Fusion Titanium has all 4 window, 1-touch up and down. I think my '12 Focus SEL does as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2014
    Since moving to New Mexico last month, I use the "express" button combo on my key fob all the time to lower both front windows as I approach my Caravan. Doesn't work on the rear windows, unfortunately. But if it's really a scorcher, I can use the fob to open both sliding doors.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Buffeting in modern cars is absolutely miserable. To address this in the Fusion, the auto-open feature on the sunroof only opens it about 60% of the way. If you open it all the way, the buffeting will about burst an eardrum.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    The Honda Accord EX has a cool feature- Hold down the Lock button on the key fob and all four windows and sunroof will open.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Another nice feature - you can enter nav data while the car is in motion. VW doesn't do too much of the nanny stuff.
  • stangmatt66stangmatt66 Member Posts: 16
    Most VW shops can also program Audi and VW models to lower and raise the windows from the unlock/lock buttons on the key. Quick 5-minute job.
  • papatwicepapatwice Member Posts: 5
    @Dan,@ebeaudoin -

This feature has been in Passat since late 90's . It didn't make it to Accord before the 04 redesign.

Another feature that was in the B5 Passat (even in base models) was four wheel disc brakes. It was unavailable in the Accord of that era unless you got the top of the line EX model.

@cgrocho47 - I'm not sure if you experienced it personally but the window regulator issues typically were in the Golf based models not the Passat. My personal experience with my 2k Passat was that it was reliable but needed regular maintenance. On the other hand, my sister's Camry and my friend's Accord/Civic were absolute POS when it came to reliability. The Camry had brake issues from the very start that were never fixed. The Accord had transmission/engine gasket leak issues before the car hit 60K miles and the Civic had rear sub-frame issues before 30K miles. My reason to bring up the other cars is not to show them in bad light but to explain that every make/model has issues and none of them are as reliable or unreliable as people claim them to be.

@Dan - I will be in the market for a midsize car within the next 6 months or so. I'd appreciate if your team can compare this car with other midsize cars on ride/handling/fuel economy/features and their usability on a daily basis. That would really help folks who are looking to buy one of these cars.

P.S - @Dan - Can your team upgrade this Passat's tires to HP/UHP AS tires and report on it?

Appreciate your response. Thanks.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited October 2014
    @papatwice

VW reliability has improved quite a bit recently but I can assure you there are more 200,000+ miles Toyotas and Hondas on the road than VWs. Yes, Honda and Toyota produce lemons like everybody else but overall they are far more reliable than their European counterparts. For example my friend has a 2005 VW Touraeg with 153,000 miles on it and it has no functioning ABS, traction control and ESP, the HVAC blower doesn't work, brake lights work intermittenly, the headlights on the right side don't work, it's been towed twice due to oil pressure problems and brake failure and it leaks oil and coolant. My cousin has a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with 300,000+ miles and the VSC doesn't work, the check engine light is on due to bad oxygen sensors, lifters are noisy, and the stereo is down to 2 working speakers. The VW will never see 200,000 miles let alone 300,000. My Acura has 130,000 miles and other than replacing engine mounts it hasn't had any repairs. I haven't even had to change a light bulb.

Thankfully VW admits that their reliability is poor and they are working hard to change it but it will be a few years before they catch up to the Japanese. However Hyundai proves that with hard work you can be as reliable as Honda and Toyota.
  • mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35
    Dear Mazda, are you reading this post? Seriously how hard is it to implement this.....
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    cgrocho47 said:

Nice feature. Also the one VW can't seem to implement well at all, since their window regulators are notorious for failing.

@cgrocho47 You're referring to the window regulators of the MK3 and MK4 Jettas and Golfs. They replaced the ones in the MK4s under campaign to metal regulators (I knew a lot of people with MK4 Jettas and Golfs and they all got it done for free, even after the then 2 year warranty expired). They typically are as reliable as any power window once the regulators are metal.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    > Dear Mazda, are you reading this post? Seriously how hard is it to implement this.....

For a company trying to save costs as their highest priority (and I am talking about all non-euro cars, not just Mazda) omitting features like this will save millions of dollars both up front and in warranty costs. This feature is very expensive.
  • misterkyumisterkyu Member Posts: 3
    I believe the 2015 Mazda6 does have one-touch windows for both front and rear.
  • ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    cgrocho47 said:

You sure you're not referencing data from a decade ago? I know there was issues with many European cars window regulators (BMW as well) but I htink this is mostly due to a parts supplier issues that has long since been remedied.

• ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    mlin32 said:

Dear Mazda, are you reading this post? Seriously how hard is it to implement this.....

Yeah actually this is one of the reasons I purchased a VW after owning Mazdas for years. They in fact decontented the express window for front doors. To be fair though I believe the newer Mazdas (i know the 2015 Mazda6 for sure) come with express on all 4 doors.