Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Poor Man's Audi? - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Volkswagen
imagePoor Man's Audi? - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Of course styling is subjective, but one editor really digs the looks of our 2014 Volkswagen Passat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    edited October 2014
    I can't say I agree with what you have to say about the E92/3's tailights (How would you have had them look?). The car was never perfect looking, but it was very attractive from most every angle. If what you mean to say is that the roofline of the convertible was discordant with the rest of the design (and even more so in the F33's carryover design), then I certainly agree with that.
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    The Passat already seems to be the "poor man's Audi" in terms of driving dynamics/NVH, but I think it's *not quite there* in terms of styling. However, I think it needs only minor cosmetic tweaks to get there. A refresh is coming up, hopefully they will do a good job with it.
  • Options
    barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    There's a fine line between classy and dull and I think this falls a little too far on the dull side.
  • Options
    dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    With the right badges on the outside, you could easily pass this off as the replacement for the W-body Impala or the MG Optima to someone who had never seen their actual replacements and couldn't see in the car. It's handsome to most people only because of the German badge.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    dg0472 said:

.... It's handsome to most people only because of the German badge.

I actually like it despite the badge. Maybe VW has gotten better at reliability and things not rattling but that is what scares me away from buying this car.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "No exaggerated swoops along the body sides, no bulging headlights, no discordant taillights." Not a Japanese midsizer, in other words.