Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Digital Dashboard Start-Up Show - 2014 Kia Cadenza Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Kia
imageDigital Dashboard Start-Up Show - 2014 Kia Cadenza Limited Long-Term Road Test

With the proliferation of digital dashboards, it seems like each manufacturer has a start-up presentation of the vehicle's gauges. Here's a video of our 2014 Kia Cadenza at start-up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    That's very cool and while 4-6 seconds doesn't sound like a lot of time, but when you're running late you have it in reverse in less than 2 seconds from starting the engine and that would be very uncomfortable to do that before you see the full display. I'd suggest maybe a compromise where the core dials and gauges come up immediately, while the center area comes up later. Otherwise, this would get old after awhile. Maybe a setting you can change somewhere.
  • Options
    tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2014
    Maybe it's just me but I don't think the car should be in gear that soon after starting the engine anyways, especially when the engine is cold, like in the video. I prefer to give the engine a few seconds to circulate the fluids before I start off. Typically as soon as I enter the car I start it. Then I put on my seat belt, adjust the radio, mirrors, seat, what have you, then I depart. Maybe modern cars don't require this but in my mind it can't hurt anything.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Start the car, put on your seat belt, turn on the radio, and set the HVAC system and by the time that is all done you won't even notice the start-up sequence.

I don't think it is humanly possible to start a car and put it in gear in less than 2 seconds.
  • Options
    diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    @ryster, I am a volunteer firefighter and I've done that. Hop in car, put in gear, get out of driveway peeling rubber to respond to a structure fire. Seatbelt later. :P
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    I was harshly critical of the cheap & gimmicky start up sequence of the K900, but this one looks very tasteful. The tach needle is immediately lit up to show the engine is running and the rest of it only takes a few seconds with a nice fade in. Well done.
  • Options
    dg0472dg0472 Member Posts: 89
    Why do you need to see the gauges to go in reverse? It's not likely you'd be overheating at startup and what else would you need to see? The speedometer doesn't register reversing speeds. You could hear it if the engine was running at 4K RPMs.

By the way, the part he misseed is a display that starts with a picture of the front of the car, somewhat like appears in the K900's start-up sequence but with a Euro-style front plate that says "Cadenza", which then fades to the word "Welcome" over the Kia logo.

The only settings are to turn off the chime that accompanies the display not in the video and the graphic that shows if the wheels aren't aligned when the car is first started

• Options
    aquineasaquineas Member Posts: 8
    For a second there I thought the car thought it was going 17mph, but then I saw the "AVG" speed. 17mph I suppose is probably pretty good for LA.