Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

I Could Get Used to This - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Kia
imageI Could Get Used to This - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

If I were buying a new car I would want heated seats (no surprise), a rearview camera (soon to be standard) and a head-up display. This last one has only just made it onto my list after traveling several hundred miles in our long-term 2015 Kia K900.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    coxwillcoxwill Member Posts: 3
    Heated seats and HIDs
  • Options
    mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    This may sound a little odd, but the must-have feature for my next car is an IC engine. I know I joke about the reliability of my Tesla a lot, but in truth it is a simply fantastic car to drive. However, for all its dynamic brilliance I have never really felt connected to it. I never realized how much I depended on the engine to feel the soul of a car. I really miss the feel, the sound, and even the non-linearity of IC engines. My Model S produces immense torque from anywhere at any speed. As a result, you just think about accelerating and you do. At first that was awesome, but after a few years it actually gets quite boring. Long drives are mind-numbing because you never have to plan a pass or even think about the powertrain. My daily driver will remain an EV as long as it grants me access to CA's carpool lanes (that is just too convenient to give up), but I will definitely need a fun car on the side complete with an IC engine.
  • Options
    adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Adaptive cruise control was high on my must-have list for my most recent car purchase. 2014 Fusion's system makes long-distance cruising extra comfortable. I disagree on the HID's. Just had one go out on my 2009 Mazda 6. Turned out the electronics failed on the right headlamp. $650 repair. Fusion has xenons and projector lenses. I don't miss the HID's when I'm in the Fusion and when a bulb goes out, I'll be able to replace it myself for peanuts.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "What are the must-have features for your next new car?"

Lockers and a remote disconnect sway bar. Oh, and heated seats.
    (I was spoiled by all that on a recent trip to some AZ mountains in my Wrangler Rubicon)
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Heated seats, HID lights, remote opening locks, power windows.

I know the latter is pretty much standard on all but the most basic cars these days. But I have been driving a 1972 MGB-GT for the past couple years and it has really reminded me how much I enjoy the simple convenience of hitting a button to unlock my car, particularly in the winter.

This year's winter beater is a '91 S-10 Blazer 4x4. It has power windows and locks, but no remote. I may spend the $50-60 for an aftermarket upgrade. I really miss the heated seats from my Forester and Jetta, particularly after last winter.

I've nver had HID's. But I am always impressed by the quality of the lights on cars that pass me at night with them. They just seem like a worthwhile safety upgrade.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    I already have heated seats on my Civic and I swapped in some HIDs with projectors, but those are two must-haves on my next car (more specifically, they'd be bi-xenons, hopefully adaptive).

My mom's 2013 Tiguan has keyless entry and ignition, and while I didn't initially think that it would be that big of a convenience, I really appreciate it whenever I drive her car. It makes unlocking and starting it easy and quick, especially if you've got items in your hand. My only complaint is that you can't start the car and then lock it from the outside with the key on your person unless you do it manually with the hidden keyhole on the door, which is something I do when it's particularly hot or cold and I want to keep the interior comfortable.

Adaptive cruise would be nice, but it isn't "must have" since I've managed without it. A rearview camera would be great but it would really only be a must have on a larger car. Head up display would be great, but I think we're years away from them being available on more affordable cars.
  • Options
    bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    Now that I own a car with HIDs I can never go back. So HIDs for sure. Heated seats are a must as well. I've always wanted them; I now have them; I will never go back. And kudos to Mazda for heating the lower back portion as well (not everyone does that). I've almost always had cars with sunroofs (or folding tops) and I love the feature so that's a must.

I like what Mazda has done with connectivity and media choices on my new 3, but it could be better still (and since Mazda can add features via programming it probably will get better). To that point I'd like my next car's media system to just be a conduit for the phone or whatever media/app devices have bene devised in the future. Just give us a plug in port or Bluetooth and some good speakers and let us control the rest.

And the last one might not be possible the next time I buy a new car but it's as much a must have as anything for me: a manual transmission. As good as modern automatics are, I just need that extra level of engagement when I drive. Yes... even in traffic. Will anyone be making them (for something I can afford or want) next time I am in the market? Tough to say.

I thought the HUD on my 3 was dumb (and I still think it will be the first thing that breaks; the fact that the screen raises and lowers is just so superfluous) but I've grown to really like it for all of the reasons Donna cited. I wouldn't call it a must have, but it sure is nice to have the speed, cruise and NAV info right in front of you.