Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Lincoln MKC Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2014 in Lincoln
image2015 Lincoln MKC Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds' road test of the 2015 Lincoln MKC includes on-road driving impressions, specs, photos and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021

Why is it that the captions at the top of the articles always reflect the base engine for the vehicle being tested regardless of the engine actually tested?

And what is with these half-assed "road tests?" A road test doesn't necessarily have as much data as a track test, but I certainly expect more info about the actual driving experience besides a vague reference to how well the suspension works and seat comfort.

Where are impressions about the engine (this is the first "review" I have read with the 2.3) and how it compares on the 'seat dyno' to the 2.0. Where is actual fuel economy, I can get the EPA estimates from the Lincoln website. Where is some commentary on why someone would want to buy this vs the Escape.

90% of the info here I could get from Lincoln's website.

• mrrytemrryte Member Posts: 28

"Fully loaded versions like our tester will top out beyond $50,000."

My how quickly Lincoln forgets (remember the Aviator?) A rebadged Escape with no V6 offered is a recipe for a sales flop.

• g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89

I thought a $39k VW Tiguan SEL was crazy BUT I guess not vs a $50k Ford Escape. Saw a Canadian production model on the road Friday...Looked good but $50k for a gussied up Escape? No thank you...this will be a tough sell unless they can sell around the Escape factor...GM hasn't been able to fool enough people on the Caddy SRX (gussied up Equinox)...

• kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150

It's a fat ugly Ford. Dose not live up to Lincoln in any way shape or form.
    Ford has created the new Mercury in the Lincoln brand at best luxury is not something you get in Lincoln.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606

This model is visually recognizable as an Escape from nearly every angle. What would persuade buyers to pay more for this than a well optioned Escape? Certainly not the confusingly named trim levels Premier, Select, and Reserve. (Are these used with any other model yet? I pretty much never see a Lincoln on the road in California nowadays so I can't be sure.)

• autopalautopal Member Posts: 13

I'm no Lincoln apologist, but this is no closer to the Ford Escape than the RDX is to the CR-V, or Venza, or Rav4 is to the Lexus RX, or the Q5 is to the Tiguan, or the Nissan Rogue is to the Infiniti EX. Unless you go for BMW or Benz (they don't have a mainstream brand to share) then the comments about this Lincoln being a Ford Escape is unfair. Does people realise that the Lexus ES 350 is essentially a loaded Camry? I guess what i'm saying is, all manufacturers share platform accross different models, nothing new and terrible if this car is related to the Escape. Infiniti G37/Q50 is just a Nissan Skyline in Japan.

• evandersmartevandersmart Member Posts: 1

The Lexus NX coming this fall will be a bigger hit than this. And it comes after everyone else has shown their cards. It ultra-aggressive style will bring new buyers to Lexus, and don't be surprised if it becomes the #1 seller in the class. Offering the only hybrid in the class, with about 35 MPG, won't hurt either

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445

I see very little Escape in this vehicle. I saw this car at the NY Show and you have to look awfully hard to see any Ford in this car. The interior is very well done and the external panels are different. Lincoln's biggest problem is getting on the shopping list for potential buyers. Marketing has there work cut out for them.

• This does not directly compete with the X3 and Q5. Those are larger vehicles, more akin to the MKX. Audi's Q3 when it gets here is the same size class (e.g. sharing architecture with Tiguan). Acura RDX is a direct competitor

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Lincoln does seem to be upgrading their newer vehicles a bit and I think the MKC is more differentiated from the Escape than some of their past models. But the big question comes to whether the Escape chassis really is capable of luxury class. I guess time will tell. I think that in the US, lux is primarily MB, BMW and Lexus to most consumers. So Lincoln, and Caddy too for that matter, has to provide products that swing for the fences. The domestics in this segment lost their cachet some time ago. Caddy is much further along that Lincoln, but I'm not sure it is there yet either. Kenny Rogers sang "know when to hold 'em and no when to fold 'em". How much is Ford willing to invest in Lincoln and is the payback really going to be worth it?

• jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54

My local dealer let me have an MkC for a test drive. A very nice effort on Lincoln's part. Complain all you wish about it being a rebadged Escape or how BMW or Audi is going to beat it to death. It is a solid, well put together vehicle that can serve as both a primary vehicle for a family as well as mom's grocery getter. Much more nimble than the MkX. I wish the 2.3 liter was available without having to go to AWD but the 2.0 and FWD works just fine unless you are in Colorado or some place that gets 100" of snow a year. Never been much of an SUV/crossover type but this one will make the short list once new vehicle time arrives. An added bonus is that my local Lincoln dealer is only about 4 miles from the house. No more 35 mile trips to the BMW, Porsche, Acura, Audi dealers or their prices.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

The article shows they are selling around list right now. Give it 6 or 9 months and I think you'll see some promo discounts. But it does look like it may be a decent value (although I don't know what the "options" list looks like).

• jeff8888jeff8888 Member Posts: 4

Had a chance to test drive a 2.0/awd MKC and thought very highly of it. Overall ride, handling, braking, acceleration and reduced NVH were all B+ or better -- strong effort from Lincoln. I don't think it needs the 2.3 but then again, there aren't any hills on the test drive loop. Looked much nicer standing next to it than in the pictures, which do not look bad. Agree with Edmunds that inside Lincoln could have gone with a nicer looking aluminum, brushed would have been better than the satin look. Otherwise, this is pretty close to a q5 inside and much better than the rdx. Living in HOU TX, Lincoln's cooled seats may have more appeal than up North and while we don't have snow, we do have very hard rains where awd is definitely a bonus. I'm moving to a small SUV from an '04 Expy EB (w/cooled seats!) and plan on getting a new ride early next year. Am also pretty sure that while the pricing may seem high today, it will likely go down in the next year. The other car I'll consider is the 2015 Edge which is based on the Fusion and will come with cooled seats in the Titanium package. Have looked at the rdx, escape titanium and q5 and would pick the mkc over any of them. The x3 will get a look and possibly the glk. May want to go diesel as well.

This is as Edmunds writes, not a re-badged escape and a strong effort. It's also an American car which I will give extra credit toward, particularly Ford as we've had a '95 explorer EB and the 0'4 mentioned above with virtually no problems. Our other car is an '11 g37 journey so I'm not looking for a performance ride, just one that supports my sporting life with the occasional Lowes run but with upgraded creature comforts over the old expy -- looks like a strong contender to meet those needs.

• zaranjjtzaranjjt Member Posts: 1
    Lol at those saying this is a rebadged Escape. You have no problems when Lexus does it, or Audi, or Acura or Infiniti. Lincoln's put in a real effort here and theres absolutely no Escape in the car at all. But yap away.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I'm shopping this segment- and the MKC is currently one of the finalists. This car is amazingly quiet- and the ride quality and comfort is right there with the Q5/X3- even better. You want active noise cancellation in an Audi? Gotta' go for the A8 methinks. The 2.3T has plenty of poop for me- I'm not looking for a sports car (I already own a pretty fast motorcycle). Maybe I'm blind- but I don't see an Escape when I look at the MKC- either inside or out, but I sure do see a CRV when I look at an RDX. A steal in the mid-$30's, but optioned up to $47K, it's hard to compete with the X3. Gotta' go drive the new '15 X3. I hear they lux'ed up the interior a bit over its more spartan past. I think I'll prefer the comfort and quiet of the MKC, but the room and feel of the X3. These are good decisions to have to make in life.

I was hoping for a review of the active cruise/blind spot/lane keeping/driver alert system. Somehow I've survived without all these things, but I like the idea of electronics to make up for the foibles of being human. Just don't know how well they work and how intrusive they become.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    mrryte said:

"Fully loaded versions like our tester will top out beyond $50,000."

My how quickly Lincoln forgets (remember the Aviator?) A rebadged Escape with no V6 offered is a recipe for a sales flop.

The Aviator may not have sold well, but the powertrain wasn't the reason. The Aviator had the engine from the non-supercharged Mustang Cobra, and Mercury Marauder, an aluminum 300+ hp DOHC 32 valve V8 with a 5-speed auto and an aluminum 4-wheel independent suspension. It got very good reviews for handling and performance. Personally I thought it looked great too. It is unfortunate that it shared too many body panels with the Explorer, because drivetrain, interior, and suspension wise it compared very well with luxury SUV's like the Range Rover (as long as you stay on pavement), X5 4.4, and ML420.

I would like to see a 2.3EB version of this in the LT fleet. You are overdue for a domestic anyway, and it would be an interesting counterpoint to the Macan, the BMW, and the recently departed (and larger) MDX.
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Kill the grill
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    It's good that Ford has benchmarked cars like the Q5 in designing this Lincoln. But it's going to take a lot more than a nifty suspension selector to get people who ordinarily shop Audi, BMW, and Benz to cross-shop the Lincoln. Those German brands have pedigrees of luxury, comfort, performance, and-- yes-- badge cachet that Lincoln does not.
  • happymotorhappymotor Member Posts: 2
    Who in their right mind is going to pay $50.000 for a "compact" Ford? After four years, resale will be close to half the value compared to Acura, Lexus or and Audi. You will need a prescription for medical Marijuana, when trade in time rolls around.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384

...After four years, resale will be close to half the value compared to Acura, Lexus or and Audi.

A good point. I'm wondering the lease residuals compare between brands?

I had the opportunity to spend a weekend with a new MkC with AWD and the 2.3 liter engine. I've never owned an SUV and don't like big cars. Over the past 40+ years I've had 5 Porsches, 4 Audis, and an assortment of other things. The MkC is a neat little buggy. It is not a Q5 or a Porsche Macan but it goes, stops, handles, and has a decent quality control and fit and finish. The one I had had an MSRP of about $45K. One of my kids has a 2014 Toyota Highlander. Compared to the MkC the Highlander is absolutely primitive in terms of fit, finish and features. Use the remote start on the Highlander, then go and open the door and the engine [non-permissible content removed] off. A "safety" feature. Cannot use the powerlift tailgate with the engine running. Another "safety" feature. The Highlander has a great reputation. Used vehicles are in great demand. But the MkC has a better warranty. Lincoln may not have hit a home run with the MkC but it has delivered a competitive vehicle into the marketplace. It is certainly on my short list when it is new vehicle time.

It's good that Ford has benchmarked cars like the Q5 in designing this Lincoln. But it's going to take a lot more than a nifty suspension selector to get people who ordinarily shop Audi, BMW, and Benz to cross-shop the Lincoln. Those German brands have pedigrees of luxury, comfort, performance, and-- yes-- badge cachet that Lincoln does not.

And Audi, Benz and BMW have maintenance costs and repair bills to match their cachet.

• mike_in_njmike_in_nj Member Posts: 1
    I've been shopping for a compact SUV for a couple of months. I'd narrowed the field down to the X3 and the MKC. Drove them both and was leaning towards the MKC. THEN I saw an Escape Titanium in person. It looked pretty snappy so I decided to drive one and see how it compared to the MKC. Well - the long and short of it is - I bought myself a fully loaded Escape Titanium (which comes with EVERYTHING the MKC did except for a heated steering wheel and 'cooled' front seats) and saved myself almost $12k! Badges have never impressed me ... but the ride of the Escape sure did!!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @mike_in_nj, My wife has a 2013 Escape Titanium, but wants an MKC. Escapes are nice, I just bought a 2013 CPO SEL.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert