Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Extended Cab - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Chevrolet
imageThe Extended Cab - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

The Edmunds long-term 2015 Chevrolet Colorado is a Crew Cab, but how does it compare to the Extended Cab?

Read the full story here

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Can I just ask why, when you have a choice, you continually order your pickups with the shortest possible bed?

Here's how it goes: you get the truck, then you go to use it and find that the bed is too short to fit what you're trying to fit and you create posts about that, then people comment that you should have ordered the longer-bed model, you get to 20k miles and get rid of that truck...

And then you order another pickup, again with the shortest bed...rinse, repeat.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Riswick said:

Or better yet, just get the Crew Cab with the long bed.

And now you have a truck 224.9 inches in length and with a 140.5 inch wheelbase, a full foot longer in both respects to the access cab version. Considering how hard Chevrolet is pushing the Colorado as an "adventure/lifestyle/youth-vibe" truck, maneuverability and smaller dimensions are quite important when, let's say, going to your favorite far-removed mountain bike trail.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    @fordson1 - The crew cab/short bed trucks are the volume models. They're the ones that sell the most so we try to mirror that consumer experience.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I think this is the reason compact trucks slowly died out from the market. The Extended Cab on, say, a F-150, is actually usable. Extended Cab in a compact truck is a nice place to store things.
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    I own an extended cab S-10, and frankly, it's best to think of it as a two seater with extra storage space. For a young single person or couple, it works great. It's small enough to fit onto Jeep trails, maneuver around town, but allows things a reg cab won't. Like the ability for a passenger to recline and sleep on road trips or use as a trunk. I think Riswick is onto something, they should offer the truck with a rear seat delete option and knock $500 off the sticker. Those seats look less usefull than the inward facing jump seats, which are only good in emergencies, but at least leave room for legs.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    tlangness said:

@fordson1 - The crew cab/short bed trucks are the volume models. They're the ones that sell the most so we try to mirror that consumer experience.

I see. How about your Jaguar - is the F-Type R Coupe the volume model of the F?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited November 2014
    Thanks James. Finally someone calls out the folly of these useless (and unsafe) jump seats on small trucks. I can see them on full-size trucks, but not on small trucks.