Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Kia Sedona Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Kia
image2015 Kia Sedona Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds' road test of the 2015 Kia Sedona includes on-road driving impressions, specs, photos, competitor information and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94
    I guess I'm having trouble seeing the value here, which is supposed to be the big selling point. It gets worse mileage, so the $1,000 cost difference vs. its competitors is easily made up in less than 3 years. Then there is less utility, nothing groundbreaking to differentiate it, and historically horrific resale value for the Sedona. Where's the value?
  • Options
    jdubbs115jdubbs115 Member Posts: 3

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the value here, which is supposed to be the big selling point. It gets worse mileage, so the $1,000 cost difference vs. its competitors is easily made up in less than 3 years. Then there is less utility, nothing groundbreaking to differentiate it, and historically horrific resale value for the Sedona. Where's the value?

The value is in its premium design, both inside in out, which you're not going to get in its competitors. It's pretty clear from reading the review that Kia was not chasing the max efficiency or max volume crowd. Not everyone cares about that. Rather, this is the minivan for people who don't really like minivans, and really appreciate a more premium styled cabin, hence the excess leather and reclining seats. As with every new H/K product, the resale value will skyrocket upwards, and will probably sit right in the middle of the class. There are 5 options in the segment - choose the one that suits you best.

• Options
    eclogiteeclogite Member Posts: 48
    No mention of the Quest? I believe Edmunds themselves called that the Infiniti of minivans. Full disclosure - I bought a used Quest a couple months ago and love it (except for the crappy mileage).

The value in the new Sedona for a buyer like me would be this - it's probably going to have high depreciation (e.g. Quest) so buying a used one means I can get a lot more for my money than I could buying a used Honda or Toyota, which is exactly the reason I bought a Quest.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I like the basic design, that is a very attractive looking van. The 6 speed auto on an all new vehicle is suprising. I would have expected Hyundai/Kia to step it up to a 7 or 8 speed in the interest of better mileage. As Se_riously points out, that $1k price difference is easily made up with better mileage if you drive your van a lot.
  • Options
    marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Looks great, but I will stick with a wagon w/ 3rd row seats as we rarely ever use the 3rd row and if so, only for short distances.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014
    I use the big empty a lot. Can't beat Chrysler's Stow and Go seats. My old Quest was ok after I threw away the middle row and let the rear seat slide forward. The pics don't look bad - if you can get plywood in on an angle, you should be able to get a couple of bikes in without having to take wheels off, etc.
  • Options
    diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    I don't know why fitting 4'x8' plywood sheets is the main standard for measuring a minivan's competency in terms of cargo space. Not a lot of minivan's owners use their vans for renovations every day or weekend. I bought 10 drywall sheets, 57 8'x2"x4" studs just last weekend and loaded them in my 2012 Nissan Quest. Sure, my cargo area is 4 inches short that the hatch was not completely closed. I just had to securely tie it down. But the biggest benefit for me is not taking off the heavy middle seats like how you would need to in a Toyota Sienna.
  • Options
    famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    edited September 2014
    Wonder if this van features Nappa Leather on ALL the seats, or just the front seats, leaving vinyl on the others.
    Great looks, though dash isn't very flashy. Thanks Kia for a new minivan for all those families out there.
  • Options
    jeffinohjeffinoh Member Posts: 156
    It's just so GORGEOUS. That's Kia's secret weapon. Looks.
  • Options
    hung820hung820 Member Posts: 1
    This minivan is still much cheaper compare to competitors. If you competitors website Nissan top-model is about $46K, Honda $48K, Toyota $47K, Chrysler $43K. This new modern Sedona is European-inspired Styling still less then $40K compare to competitors and offer much more than you can think. Here are the list of Sedona offer GDI engine (more powerful then competitors), Napa Soft Leather throughout the Cabin, Active Smart Cruise Control, More Safety because is use more High Strength Steel compare to competitors, (ASD) (VIS) (ESC) (TCS) (ABS) (BAS) (HAC) (EBD) (CBC) (VSM) (SCC) (BSD) (Static Torsional Stiffness) (UVO Infotainment System & Telematics - Geo Fencing- Speed Alert - Curfew Alert - Driving Score) (Variable Induction System) (Roll Over Mitigation) (Forward Collision Warning System) (Rear Cross Traffic Alert) (Surround View Monitor) (Smart Door illuminates) (Power Retractable Side Mirrors with keyfob detected) (Smart Power Liftgate) (Most Quiet using Double Seal and Wheel-House Padding & Sound Deadening)...UVO works well with Apple and Google selected apps (such example as Google local search, Apple Siri and "Eyes Free". Overall, Sedona offer much more advantages technology, more powerful, and still hold Best Value. Go and study other competitors technology and what can they offer before you made a comments.
  • Options
    golddog1golddog1 Member Posts: 20
    Still wish you had the option to remove the second row completely. We carry 4 dog crates on occasions and the only way this can be accomplished is with 'ALL" seats removed. Would have been definitely on our list, but not now.
  • Options
    fairfax777fairfax777 Member Posts: 1
    If you buy now, will Kia upgrade to it's latest safety improvements? Front partial crashes are a big concern here as Nissan Quest failed miserably. Jennifer Newman at cars.com said "The 2015 Kia Sedona, which recently arrived at dealerships, wasn't tested by IIHS because the automaker plans to make changes to the minivan to improve its small overall protection. IIHS plans to test it as soon as it's available." Or, is Kia talking about making the changes for 2016 model year. Either way, it doesn't sound good until the changes are implemented and the buyer knows the vehicle will protect you on a front partial crash.
  • Options
    fivealyvfivealyv Member Posts: 1
    Just figure I would follow up and contribute after reading a bit. They did redo the test with the doors locked, and it's much better; a top safety pick now: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/kia/sedona/2015.

The originally, the 2015 did not have the doors automatically lock, so a rating was done without them locked (as they could be in a real collision). The new ones all have the auto lock feature enabled, so they retested with them locked and the ratings were much better.

We are really considering getting one, it simply feels better than the competition.