Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

"Real" mpg for 2015 Hyundai Sonata?

saamlee92saamlee92 Member Posts: 4
edited December 2014 in Hyundai
Hi. It's my very first post here :smile: I have a very good offer for a Sonata lease but I would like to know the real mpg I would get. Obviously it depends on many facts but any information you have is valuable. I will be driving about 40 miles, four days a week. It's gonna be mainly on highway of course.
Number two on my list is the Mazda 3 which has more mpg but I didnt get a good offer yet. Thanks

Answers

• rhinestonefuserhinestonefuse Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2014
    I would trust that Hyundai's MPG claims are 100% accurate, in fact I bet they are probably even lower than actual.

Why? Because they got busted, big time:

= = = = =

WASHINGTON -- Hyundai and Kia have agreed to a settlement worth more than $350 million to end the government’s two-year investigation into the inflated fuel economy ratings of some 1.2 million Hyundai and Kia vehicles.

The EPA and Department of Justice announced the settlement deal at a press conference here today.

Under the settlement, Hyundai and Kia will pay a $100 million civil penalty, spend $50 million to establish an independent fuel economy certification group and forfeit some 4.75 million greenhouse gas emission credits the companies have banked under the EPA’s tailpipe emissions regulations -- estimated to be worth more than $200 million, according to a joint statement by the Justice Department and EPA.
  • cluwalcluwal Member Posts: 3
    Hyundai is still at the EPA fraud.

I bought a new 2015 Sonata Sport. EPA rating for city is 24 mpg. I'm getting 10.8 mpg calculated, 45% less than EPA. How pathetic. Car is 1.5 months old.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,545
    what are you doing with it, idling at the curb all day? I don't think a NYC cab could get mileage that low!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

2015 Sonata Sport: MPG is pathetic. Just put in my first tank of gas. Car has an 18.5 gallon tank. Driving pattern is city. On the full tank of gas I got from the dealer I got 195 miles. When the low fuel light came on, I put in 14.668 gallons. Dividing 195 by 14.668, that gives me 13.29 mpg. EPA rating for city is 24.

Complaining to Hyundai will accomplish nothing. I need to find another class action or find an attorney.
    Follow up to above post: I'm getting 48% below the EPA rating of 24 mpg.