Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sold to CarMax - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageSold to CarMax - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

We took the 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 to CarMax. Here's how it went.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Wow.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I'm not sure if I found the right listing, but there's a 2014 CLA250 selling on CarMax for $34,097 with 21k miles.
  • Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    How much money does a dealership usually try to make on a car like this?

Let's say they sell it at $32k, since they seem confident that they can sell it rather easily; that means there are people out there happily paying $3k less than MSRP for a one year old, twenty thousand mile, rather rough riding, first year model three-quarter Benz. Geez.

Anybody want to buy my one year old t-shirt for $3 less than I paid for it? Maybe if I paint a star on the front...
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509

Wow.

What he said.

• Options
    redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52
    For all it's warts, this car has been selling like hotcakes, so I'm not terribly surprised by the offer price.
  • Options
    arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    Ask the nice people at CarMax if they'll increase they're offer to $29,501 if you throw in the Miata...
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I still have to wonder if its the Edmunds factor. You know that they sell it to the same CarMax dealership who likely knows every car that's being tested. When it comes in for the offer, maybe they toss in a few extra grand for the free advertising. I'd imagine having an article that shows an amazing price offered is worth quite a bit of money. Just Google "CLA250 Carmax" and this page is right below the Carmax listings. I've never read of people getting so much for their tradeins from Carmax.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    "The Edmunds trade-in value was estimated at $26,060...CarMax offered us $29,500"
    What does this say about Edmunds trade-in value estimate?
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "The Edmunds trade-in value was estimated at $26,060...CarMax offered us $29,500"
    What does this say about Edmunds trade-in value estimate?

It seems the trade in values are underinflated numbers provided by dealerships to Edmunds so in return they can offer consumers low offers and point to the Edmunds database to validate them.