Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Keyless Ignition, But Not Entry - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in MINI
imageKeyless Ignition, But Not Entry - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of a 2014 Mini Cooper and finds that it has keyless ignition but not keyless entry doesn't make a lot of sense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Boy, that would be frustrating.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited January 2015
    life can be so trying at times can't it.

Granted keyless entry would be nice but in reality for people that own a car and drive the same car on a regular basis I'd bet they could press the right button without even pulling the fob out of their pocket.

In all honesty I don't mind at all having to push a button to unlock the doors and then just leaving the key in my pocket as I put things in the car and get settled. Sure when my hands are full it would be nice to skip the step of hitting the button but in reality it is a nice enough step not to have to then keep the key out while I get my things situated and get in the car. Likewise when you park and get out you can grab your jacket and whatever else you need, get out, close the door all without having a key clasped in one hand.

Saying it would be nice to have the added feature of keyless entry makes sense. Saying a car as expensive as your Mini was should have it also makes sense.
    Saying it is useless having keyless ignition without keyless entry doesn't. It is like saying "why have remote door locks if I'm going to have the key in my hand already anyways?"
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    That's pretty stupid. Why would you even have two sets of door handles/linkages...one with the keyless sensors and solenoids, and one without? That just makes the whole car more expensive to produce than it has to be, with no benefit for the added cost.

Oh - wait. It's a MINI. Never mind.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited January 2015
    fordson1 said:

...Why would you even have two sets of door handles/linkages...one with the keyless sensors and solenoids, and one without? ....

I don't think the keyless 'entry' pops the door open. It just unlocks the door when you touch the handle (or push a button on the door handle) and the keyfob is within range of the vehicle. The sensors I'm sure are separate from the actuators/locks as it just checks to see if you are in range of the vehicle.

They typically automatically lock the doors too when you get out of range. Something that would be annoying for those that are crazy enough to park their cars in a locked garage at night. For me I'd gladly keep having to push the button to get in the car in a parking lot if it meant I didn't need to grab the key every time I wanted to open the car door inside my garage.

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    My Dad would call this a job done half a@#. If you're not going to do keyless entry and ignition save the time and money and just use an old school key. This seems to be a European thing. VW also does the keyless ignition but no keyless entry, still have to unlock with the fob.
  • Options
    joepawlickijoepawlicki Member Posts: 7
    dingus or dongle ?lol
  • Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    I'm a bit surprised to find this on a sorta upscale car--well, maybe not, since it's a BMW product--but the Mazda3 i SV and Sport also does keyless start but remote entry; you have to move up to the i Touring or higher for "Advanced Remote" aka "keyless" entry. It's another of those features where I suspect that a frequent driver/owner would soon adapt, pressing the remote button without needing to remove it from his pocket; ladies who carry their keys in a purse might find it more cumbersome.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    BMW at it's finest. Even the Ford Fiestas (just to name one) have figured out the key-less entry thing. I am on my second car with key-less entry and start and it is so convenient I don't think I would buy a new car without it!
  • Options
    scottyscooterscottyscooter Member Posts: 8
    This is a $20k car that has $12,350 worth of options; it’s pretty crazy that you STILL notice that you are missing options!
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

My Dad would call this a job done half a@#. If you're not going to do keyless entry and ignition save the time and money and just use an old school key. This seems to be a European thing. VW also does the keyless ignition but no keyless entry, still have to unlock with the fob.

My 2011 GTI has keyless both...I'm not aware of any VW option level that has keyless ignition but not entry.