Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Detroit Auto Show: 2016 Lexus GS F (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Lexus
image2015 Detroit Auto Show: 2016 Lexus GS F (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

Armed with a 460-hp V8, the 2016 Lexus GS F takes the midsize luxury sedan to a new level of performance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    marcos9marcos9 Member Posts: 96
    Seems to me that the GS F isn't even in the same category as BMW M, AMG, Audi RS, or V-series Cadillac. As for the Audi S6 that has "only 420hp", it is severely underrated in published power figures. I'm going to bet it will be very comparable if not beat performance figures that GS F puts out. Even if it does not, a simple chip tune will handily beat this new GS F due to twin turbo and quattro. If Lexus wanted to be a true standout and stick with NA, they should have used a larger displacement engine (e.g. M156).
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Why isn't the Chevy SS listed? Yes yes, I know, Chevy not a competitor for Lexus/BMW etc. Except performance and equipment wise, it sure as heck is, and you can get a real manual, AND is costs over 20k less for a fully loaded version.
  • Options
    softrose4yousoftrose4you Member Posts: 12
    Finally Lexus has given us the GS-F. It will be interesting to see how it does in the 0 to 60 time. One thing for sure it will have the best reliability verses the other cars in this category.
  • Options
    rtgarciartgarcia Member Posts: 1
    I'm pretty sure the facelift S6/S7 are rated now at 450hp instead of the prior 420hp....
  • Options
    gtrguy2012gtrguy2012 Member Posts: 14
    Why would they give it only 460hp? That too RWD... In today's league of elite performance sedans AWD, TTV8, and sub 3 second 0-60 blasts have become the standard. The S6 is underrated grossly from the factory and makes close to 420hp AT THE WHEELS.

The E63, M5 and RS7 would run circles around this car, although they cost substantially more. If this is Lexus's BMW 550i, E550, S6/S7 competitor then that makes more sense. But then they need another performance model with better credentials to fight the M/AMG/RS cars. 460HP in this car will not get it done (see RC-F).
  • Options
    jbrown08jbrown08 Member Posts: 15
    I agree with the 0-60 times, but as we all know that has nothing to do with overall performance since this car already performance well in its F sport model(spirit driving). I was hoping for a hybrid awd system but this should be more than enough power to walk toe to toe with the big three! Love the styling and as always reliability will not be a question when cross shopping against it's german/british rivals! For the record horsepower has no impact on 0-60 times, it's all about the torque/weight that contribute to how fast a car can get there, now horsepower play's a huge roll in the top speed, and who is really going to go 150+ on the highways???? Just saying : )
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    edited January 2015
    The selling point for this segment isn't realistically usable performance so much as it is potential performance, and bragging rights. 460hp is nice, but an E55 made slightly more that 12 years ago. On that note, this GS-F will have work cut out for it. It will no doubt be easier to live with as miles pile on, but those who want them new don't care about that. It'll be interesting to see independent performance specs, as the Germans aren't sleeping either. As was said above, this seems more like a fancy version of the standard V8 German middle sedans, rather than the extreme tuned competitor - especially now that there are "S" AMGs, Audi RS, etc.