Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Horse Lasers - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Ford
imageHorse Lasers - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of a 2015 Ford Mustang and has some colorful commentary regarding the horse lights that project from the mirrors.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I have to agree James. it feels like the neon rockers and big wing the cash challenged kid puts on his stock 100k mile Civic to make it look like a street racer from Fast & Furious.

How hard are they to disable?
  • Options
    mojo_mikemojo_mike Member Posts: 11
    Get a life Kavanagh. Lots of cars now have LED puddle lights. This is a whimsical twist that pays homage to the Mustang's heritage.
  • Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Two kinds of people in the world:
    1) People who hate horse lasers
    2) People who watch this video and lose their MIND at 3:04
    http://youtu.be/oTgoj6SNfVc
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    edited January 2015
    well this one site seemed impressed:
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/automakers-turn-puddle-lights-into-surprise-and-delight-feature.html

And I'm just guessing but I think it is more likely an LED projector silhouette setup rather than a laser drawing the image.

Thus it was probably more of a "Hey, we are already putting courtesy lights in here, what if we run it through a lens and give it the shape of our logo?" than extensive R&D.

But then again we get gripes on here that on some cars when you start them up the gauges don't 'sweep' across the dash because it looks cool.

And finally, am I the only one that every time I read 'laser' it was in a Dr Evil voice?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    If you are going to drive a 400+ horsepower Mustang GT, you can't be bashful. At least it's not the CLA illuminated 3 pointed star.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Puddle lights to match the badge on the decklid? +1 for originality. -1 for incredible dorkiness.

They missed an opportunity here. It should alternate several times a second between the horse shown above and one with legs the spread out in a gallop to create a kind of stop-motion animation of the horse running. Even Mr. Kavanagh couldn't say no to that.

Now if only Ford would integrate naked lady silhouette puddle lights on diesel F-series for the boneheads who jack them up and roll coal, they'd have their target demographic catered to perfectly.
  • Options
    mtakahashimtakahashi Member Posts: 31
    I want to take a dremel to it and make it into a unicorn. Unicorns are cool.
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    edited January 2015

I want to take a dremel to it and make it into a unicorn. Unicorns are cool.

Comment of the day, right there. MTakahashi FTW!
  • Options
    bucho65bucho65 Member Posts: 11
    The longer I keep my 88 Mustang the more I like it for the features it DOESN'T have. Not that I don't appreciate progress, I'd love to have 400+hp and get 25mpg at the same time but I also like to see out the back window while backing up, prefer throttle cables to throttle by wire, and not have a light show when I unlock my door.
  • Options
    mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    Look at those frickin' equine LASER beams!