Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

P85D - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2015 in Tesla
imageP85D - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2013 Tesla Model S has been gone from our fleet for some time, but a recent ride in the new P85D re-sparked some interest in the all-electric super-sedan.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bolotiboloti Member Posts: 47
    the pictures of the frunks are flipped...
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    It looks like the photos of the frunks might be swapped. The second one definitely appears to be the larger of the two. Also, it seems to have some sort of additional latching mechanism inside the hatch seal. I wonder what that is...
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I got excited when I saw the title - I thought you guys had bought one! Oh well, I hope you'll pick up a Model X when its released.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    The P85Ds make me laugh. I've owned my P85 for over 2 years now and never once have I wished for more power. I can't even imagine what MORE power in the Model S feels like.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Interesting to see that he wants to upgrade the sound system. I had a hard enough time putting a new radio in my 2001 Camry; I can't imagine upgrading the speakers and such in a computer with wheels!
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99
    The P85D was introduced late 2014. There are no 2013 P85Ds, so the title of this piece is wrong. Not that it really matters, since Tesla doesn't hew much to model years as much as it does to release numbers...
  • handbrakehandbrake Member Posts: 99

The P85Ds make me laugh. I've owned my P85 for over 2 years now and never once have I wished for more power. I can't even imagine what MORE power in the Model S feels like.

I upgraded from a P85 to a P85D. I also never thought more power was called for. Guess what? It probably isn't, but it sure does make a difference. The brutality of launches scares young children (ask my nephew) and releases endorphins in the driver. It's an entirely different experience below 80 mph. Above 80, it's pretty much the same.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    The title is "wrong" because this blog entry is under the old 2013 Model S they previously had. I suspect their blog system requires them to put their entries under a car they own or used to own, so this is probably the best compromise.
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    legacygt said:

It looks like the photos of the frunks might be swapped. The second one definitely appears to be the larger of the two. Also, it seems to have some sort of additional latching mechanism inside the hatch seal. I wonder what that is...

They're not swapped. Edmunds' long termer was black or dark gray. Russell's P85D is red.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    diigii said:

They're not swapped. Edmunds' long termer was black or dark gray. Russell's P85D is red.

They were swapped, but it was since fixed (presumably before you read the post).
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    handbrake said:

I upgraded from a P85 to a P85D. I also never thought more power was called for. Guess what? It probably isn't, but it sure does make a difference. The brutality of launches scares young children (ask my nephew) and releases endorphins in the driver. It's an entirely different experience below 80 mph. Above 80, it's pretty much the same.
    The powerful torque would really make the vehicle exciting to drive, I'd imagine. I'd have a lot of fun turning onto an Interstate on-ramp and flooring it and hitting 70 mph. That'd be pretty awesome.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    diigii said:

legacygt said:

They seem to have fixed the photos. Initially those two photos were reversed.
  • kcaikcai Member Posts: 15
    Just another fancy pull car. What they need is the new generation of battery pack not faster 0-60 time.How many times you can run 0-60 in a single charge?
  • mrolfsmrolfs Member Posts: 2
    I think I read that the seats in the P85D have been upgraded. Is that the case?
  • diigiidiigii Member Posts: 156
    legacygt said:

diigii said:

legacygt said:

They seem to have fixed the photos. Initially those two photos were reversed.

Mah bad then. :) I stand corrected.