Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Mazda
image2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Road Test | Edmunds.com

We test-drive the all-new 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata, the latest redesign of the affordable two-seat rear-drive sports car that has defined the segment for 25 years.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Still available with a sweet-shifting manual transmission. I look forward to reading a full road test.
  • Options
    john_in_tcjohn_in_tc Member Posts: 28
    I am 5' 10" and weigh 160 lbs, and I didn't even begin to fit behind the wheel of my friends older Miata. I mean that my legs would not even fit under the steering wheel! Please comment on the interior space for a normal size person.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I'm 6-4, I fit in the current Miata, but not well, knee to wheel clearance being the issue rather than legroom. But I have spent the past few years driving a 1972 MGB-GT that doesn't have much more room than the Miata (I even have early Miata seats in my car), if you want to own the car, you adjust. That said, I am hopeful that Mazda found a little bit more room under the wheel and between the wheel and the center console.
  • Options
    subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Folks, keep in mind the author, Dan Edmunds, is 6'2" if I remember correctly. You should also read about what he did with his own Miata in 1991. :)

http://www.miata.net/motm/2010/edmunds1.html
  • Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    I have an NC, am 6 foot, 200 lbs and fit just fine.
  • Options
    bryanskabryanska Member Posts: 1
    I'd be delighted to see Mazda break the traditional ownership arrangement on this one. I wonder if there's room to soothe the "toy purchase" stigma. As a responsible family member, I'd love one of these in the summer (I dearly miss my 2002 Miata) but I need to 1) store it and 2) drive another car in the MN winter, as well as 3) own a sedan.

Maybe a rental program? lease sharing? In this age of innovative "non-ownership" models, I wonder if there isn't a solution that overcomes the classic purchase barriers to roadsters.
  • Options
    sethbakersethbaker Member Posts: 2
    6'4", 245 lbs, fit just fine in the NA and NB, though the NC felt a little tight.
  • Options
    sethbakersethbaker Member Posts: 2
    Bryan, I owned and daily-drove a NA Miata through Illinois and New York winters with a nice set of snow tires and a hardtop. It only becomes a complication when you have kids and need to be able to use two vehicles for them.
  • Options
    darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    Kudos to Mazda for keeping to the original concept of the Miata with this latest redesign. It's still a small, light, tossable, and eminently affordable sports car. That's especially notable in this era when so many car companies that made great compact and subcompact models in the past have followed a "grow with the times" approach that has rendered those models too big, too floaty, and too expensive for the market segments they once defined.
  • Options
    mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    "Oh you bought a Miata, not that theres anything wrong with that...."
  • Options
    jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    I would be interested in a comparison of this Miata vs. the s2000 in terms of interior room for the driver. I managed to fit in my s2000 pretty well (6'2 185lbs)..
  • Options
    ms6erms6er Member Posts: 1
    the best shape on a convertible at any price. If Lotus made its Elan for the first time today, this would be it. Great job Mazda.