Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Useful Blind-Spot Indicators in the Head-Up Display - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Kia
imageUseful Blind-Spot Indicators in the Head-Up Display - 2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test

The Kia K900 can come with added blind-spot monitoring indicators in the optional head-up display that are useful for improving driver safety.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I like this. I don't know why HUDs aren't more prevalent. It doesn't seem that expensive to implement and it helps people keep their eyes on the road.
  • Options
    random_shotsrandom_shots Member Posts: 14
    Or you could adjust your mirrors correctly and not have to dish out ridiculous money for systems that will inevitably break in the future.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I don't like this at all. Why? Because drivers could grow to rely on it rather than looking to the side mirrors. With the systems that light up the side mirrors, at least the driver is checking the mirror (and maybe even looking around to the side of the car) before making a lane change. If the system wasn't working properly for whatever reason, they still have their eyes to fall back upon. If you are looking straight ahead and relying entirely on the HUD, you never know what is actually going on around you. If the system wasn't working properly a driver could assume that the lane is clear based on the HUD.
  • Options
    kamjwkamjw Member Posts: 1
    @ legacygt - After reading your comment I tended to agree with you, and I'm not so certain that in the long run you'd be wrong. But to be honest, driving skills seem to have eroded over the years. Testing is not done often enough - there's really no training for most people after high school, and many today did not even have that kind of training (people that moved to this country). I can't tell you how many times as a pedestrian on a sidewalk, or a jogger, that cars making a right hand turn onto a street never look to their right before making their turn. So many people even with mirrors that allow also to see along the side of the vehicle, don't fully check them before beginning their turn. Go slow they think, people will make room. In the rush traffic that is California in the morning, I see this all the time. How many people turn left at a light onto a multilane road, and then swing over one or more lanes as they make the turn? A bunch of them do. And I love the people that change lands in the middle of an intersection. To give these people just a little more info, that might make them drive the way they should - meaning notice their environment, is probably a good thing. I don't stay in a person's blind side, if at all possible. And I look over my shoulder whenever I make a change in that direction. If the HUD tell me there's a car right there, I'd actually want to take a look, to see for one thing what type of vehicle is there. Semi, motorcycle, emergency vehicle, etc.

Today's drivers assume too much as it is, and I don't think there's much that will change their habits because they need to be made aware of them first. When we put these types of devices into cars, we are actually protecting the better drivers, and that's my opinion.