Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Black Smoke from Exhaust

oakeyoakey Member Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in Kia
Hey Everyone, hoping I can get some advice.

Just bought a "new" 2014 Kia Sportage EX Luxury 2 weeks ago. It's a 2014 model but was new on the lot with 350 km on it.

I live in Nova Scotia. Been having some pretty cold weather as of late. (-20 to -30c or -2 to -22f with wind chill) About 4-5 mornings or after my vehicle sitting for 8-9 hours when I press the push start it takes a bit longer to start up and then when it starts black exhaust comes out for about 30 seconds. Once the car is heated I can start I up right away without any delay and normal white exhaust.

After the first time this happened I brought it in to be looked at. They hooked it up to their dionostic machine and could not find any codes at all. They felt where the car has been on the lot for about a year with only 350 km the engine is still breaking in. Since that time I brought it in, it has happened 3-4 more times.

I just feel a brand new vehicle shouldn't be doing this but do others think it is a non issue? Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381
    edited February 2015
    Initial cold startup and black smoke? Eh drive it. BTW after sitting for several hours ambient temp is key not wind chill.