Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hard To Check the Oil - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Ford
imageHard To Check the Oil - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

The dumb dipstick of our long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow. Doesn't it have one of those electronic oil level checkers? I thought that was the standard nowadays, especially for a brand new $46,000 vehicle. If a 10 year old Mercedes lets you know when you need to add a quart, a brand new, from scratch Mustang should show you an exact level.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Wow. Just...wow.
  • Options
    jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    At least it's not like an older 911 where the dipstick likes to disappear down the tube into never-never land. Pretty bad R/D on this though.
  • Options
    Although... I certainly don't expect Ford to re-design the 5.0 just for the mustang application. I'm guessing it's just the way it is since the GT has a strut bar where the f-150 (for example) does not.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Inaccessibility, that's a word that is familiar to anyone that regularly has been working on cars for the last few decades. If this dipstick gets you excited you need to spend either a lot more time under the hood and see just how bad it really is or maybe you shouldn't be lifting one at all. VBG
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    New aftermarket product idea! Replacement brace that makes dipstick access easy!

Given all the work on this engine for the GT, you'd think a dedicated dipstick + tube wouldn't be a big deal...
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    "You dumb dipstick!" -- Roscoe P. Coltrane
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    You have to use 2 hands to check the oil, big deal. When my daughter was managing her fleet of corporate BMW's, one of the 5's oil warning indicated the car need to be towed to the dealer. Only 75 miles away. They couldn't find anything wrong and 2 people had to drive there and shuttle the car back. I'll take engine and transmission dipsticks any day.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    It's perfectly simple in cars without the strut brace - design has been like this since the engine debuted in 2011. And even with the strut brace, it's not that hard once you do it a couple times. No, it's not ideal but there's no perfect car.
  • Options
    mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    Seems like a pretty big oversight. Pretty much just needs a slightly longer dipstick and tube that bends and clears the brace. Not a huge engineering feat.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Can't just say "it's the engine" or "it's the tower brace." All that expensive engineering could remain exactly how it is while a cheap alteration is made to the tube so that it becomes more accessible. But a car was never sold based on the location of the dipstick. Laser mustang puddle lights however...
  • Options
    texases said:

New aftermarket product idea! Replacement brace that makes dipstick access easy!

Given all the work on this engine for the GT, you'd think a dedicated dipstick + tube wouldn't be a big deal...

Or to make things less complicated, an aftermarket dipstick that has a slight extension and bend to it.

• Options
    phil160phil160 Member Posts: 7
    If this is the biggest fault of the new Mustang I think Ford is doing pretty good. This is really a non-issue 99.999% of the time
  • Options
    azsvtazsvt Member Posts: 4
    Aren't about 95% of these engines going into trucks? I'm guessing that location is the best possible for those applications and we Mustang owners have to make do.