Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Downhill Speed Regulation Done Right - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in Ford
imageDownhill Speed Regulation Done Right - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

Our 2015 Ford F-150 controls its descent speed rather well by automatically downshifting to lower gears on downgrades.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    It works great, I was very impressed by the engine brake characteristics of my 14 EB. Makes travel so much easier, because it drives me nuts when my wife's Camry accelerates downhill.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    I normally don't use cruise control when going up and down hills. Is this common? Maybe because the hills I drive also have curves.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Cool. Is it just the picture or is it hard to see which gear your in? From this picture it looks like the "4" is in yellow and the other numbers are in white. The color difference is not great.
  • nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    How did you guys already manage to put that huge scratch in the clear screen in front of the gauges? That would drive me nuts every time I look at them.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    My Acura does this also on long down hills with and without cruise control. When cruise is on it does just like the F 150. When driving without cruise lifting off the accelerator on downhills will trigger a downshift. I guess the computer correctly assumes that when you take your foot off the accelerator you don't want to go any faster. Using the brakes will trigger more aggressive engine braking and sometimes downshifting two gears (depending on how steep the grade is and how hard you press the brake) to slow the car. It also works climbing hills by holding lower gears and not upshifting. It's very effective.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    edited February 2015
    Also, what's the story with PRNDM21? Can't you select any gear with Manual? Wouldn't PRNDLM be sufficient?