Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Open Floor and Center Console - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2015 in BMW
imageOpen Floor and Center Console - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 BMW i3 is one of the few cars to offer an open floor in between the front seats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I think one reason this feature is rarely seen is because the open floor can allow items to become lodged under pedals.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    ebeaudoin said:

I think one reason this feature is rarely seen is because the open floor can allow items to become lodged under pedals.

And also because so many cars have differentials/driveshafts/transmission in the center tunnel.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I am curious how this car does in snow with snow tires. Tall skinny tires should do well I think. My buddy's '73 Bug did great with skinny snow tires.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    The electric powertrain clearly opens up some free space and that's a nice thing. But this looks dangerous to me. As mentioned in a comment above, something can interfere with the pedals. I guess that's always the case. And in this case it's not just something the driver drops. It can be something stowed in between the seats. Or something the passenger drops or stows in the footwell.
  • Options
    cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I smell a lawsuit or suggestions of unintended acceleration
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    ebeaudoin said:

Pickups have had open floors for years and until the Toyota debacle no one even thought of the possibility of things rolling under the pedals.
  • Options
    anotherdrunkanotherdrunk Guest Posts: 30
    my wife loves the extra front storage

she always wants her grocery bags up front with her