Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Armrest Rattle - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Volkswagen
imageArmrest Rattle - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds conducts a long-term test of the 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI and discovers that its backseat armrest rattles when deployed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    File article under "First World Problems".
  • Options
    pg123456789pg123456789 Member Posts: 11
    Having owned this car and an Audi, as well as sampled friends who own VWs and Audis, they rattle more than expected for the premium level of vehicle that they set out to represent. While the presentation, fit and finish of these cars may seem good on the surface, design and assembly issues are terrible underneath. That's why they often have electrical problems, and rattles. I guess VAG must emphasise presentation and fit and finish, but don't care for what its like behind the scenes, just stuff all the wires in don't worry if it rattles against something or short out and cause lights on the dash.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I'll bet you a dollar that the pass-through door right behind the flip-down armrest is not latched and that's what's rattling. When it's up, the upholstered, padded armrest muffles the sound, but when it's down, you hear it.

Open it up and close it again, making sure it's latched.

Been there, done that.
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    fordson1 said:

I'll bet you a dollar that the pass-through door right behind the flip-down armrest is not latched and that's what's rattling. When it's up, the upholstered, padded armrest muffles the sound, but when it's down, you hear it.

Open it up and close it again, making sure it's latched.

Been there, done that.

I mean, it's traditional for a VW to have a few rattles, right? Sadly I didn't notice my rear armrest rattling when folded down until 51k miles, just barely after the bumper to bumper warranty had run out. Yeah, I made sure everything was fully latched. I think the (unnecessarily) complex armrest hinge itself is the reason for the rattle in mine.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    At least this editor can understand the tpms system display on a Cadillac...
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    The passthrough not being latched is definitely a possibility; I had a similar thing happen on my Civic when one of the seat folding releases was pulled by accident. It wasn't obvious that the seat wasn't locked into place until I checked and realized that one side wasn't secured.

On another note: To each his own, but I've always had a somewhat obsessive reasoning against putting any kind of cargo on leather/leatherette seats. I'd just imagine that anything sliding across the surface would cause unnecessary wear to the material, especially if it was a backpack with buttons, zippers, etc. I guess it all just depends on what you're transporting and how careful you are.
  • Options
    subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Great entry, Jay. You are definitely not a n00b!