Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lights Out - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Jeep
imageLights Out - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Most modern cars have impressive navigation and entertainment displays that range from 7-12 inches and resemble tiny flat-screen televisions. What many lack is a simple control to turn off the display when desired. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee does however offer a simple, easy way to turn off the lights.

Read the full story here

Comments

• diondidiondi Member Posts: 71
    Makes you miss the Saab "night mode" button, doesn't it? Fighter-cockpit inspired may be cheesy, but it was nice having that.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Definitely agree with that. I've driven plenty of cars at night with LCD screens for nav/radio and some can be quite distracting. Some (like my mother's Tiguan) seem to dim enough while the headlights are on to keep glare at a minimum, but others don't change brightness at all (or don't have such functionality automatically enabled). I prefer having the screen dimmed as opposed to off so that it can still be readily used, but any manufacturer that includes a screen dim/off button, auto dimming functionality, or both gets a thumbs up from me.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    The previous generation Acura/Honda infotainment system (prior to the dual screen setup) also had a dedicated button to dim and turn off the nav display. In fact, upon starting the car, if you didn't push the OK button on the lawyer info screen, the screen would turn off by itself until you pushed a button to turn it on again. There was also no crippling of functionality while the car was in motion.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Interesting piece. Recently my girlfriend commented on how low I keep the instrument lights. I learned to drive in pitch black rural England and I have always kept the interior lighting down as I find it a great distraction.