Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Third Service - BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in BMW
imageThird Service - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

We brought our 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo to the dealer for its third service. A pair of faults also needed to be addressed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    "This one-time fault had not happened before and has not happened since. Even though it left us scratching our head at the time, there was no longer a problem to be fixed. So we moved on."

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're telling me that there was a confirmed failure and that there's nothing they are willing to do about it? Is this common? It's almost like they said "well, we'll just wait until it completely fails out of warranty and then charge the customer an arm and a leg".
  • Options
    tornado542_tornado542_ Member Posts: 9
    This is a common issue with these new BMW 4 cyl turbos. See post below. I wonder if Edmunds isnt making a big deal because BMW provided them the car.

Common problems include Vanos failure, fuel pump and injector failure as well as turbo and transmission failure.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667636
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208

"This one-time fault had not happened before and has not happened since. Even though it left us scratching our head at the time, there was no longer a problem to be fixed. So we moved on."

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're telling me that there was a confirmed failure and that there's nothing they are willing to do about it? Is this common? It's almost like they said "well, we'll just wait until it completely fails out of warranty and then charge the customer an arm and a leg".

If this were my own car, there'd be no way that I'd simply accept a freak incident of multiple cylinder misfires, especially on such a relatively new car that's also still within warranty. Forget whatever the service advisor says; something like that is simply unacceptable on a car as new this 3 series. I'm really curious to see if it develops any other related problems before Edmunds gets rid of it. I just can't comprehend how any ethical and knowledgable service advisor could simply shrug off multiple misfires as if it's a common and harmless symptom.
  • Options
    christoplechristople Member Posts: 27
    I wonder how easy the 4cylinder turbos are to fix down the line. That engine bay looks cramped just like the I-6's

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that"

• Options
    cotakcotak Member Posts: 89
    Want to make a comment about that sponsored article about the 328 that saved that woman's son.

1) That's a terrible way to advertise. Are they doing this because they got marginal on the new small offset crash test?

2) The crash is hardly that bad. Come back when the 328 can cut like a hot knife through butter with a 18 wheeler on the highway in a head on.
  • Options
    tornado542_tornado542_ Member Posts: 9
    Edmunds: Sponsored by BMW
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Yeah, those BMW "articles" sure smell like a big advertisement.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671

Yeah, what's the point of these LT tests if you don't follow through on the issues?
    You just got the kiss-off from the service manager, and that is ok?
  • Options
    yellowmiatayellowmiata Member Posts: 23

Edmunds: Sponsored by BMW

I agree with tornado542. One only has to open Edmunds homepage and we'll see at least 1 article heralding the benefits and accolades of BMWs (My BMW Saved My Son). Oddly, that article was a "Featured Article" on the homepage BUT it is listed as a "sponsored content" on a latter page. Is BMW floating enough money to Edmunds that their sense of transparency is clouding over? Why is sponsored content a Featured Article?
  • Options
    rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    I'm not an auto mechanic but these "multiple cylinder misfires" sure seem like a relatively common occurrence on many direct injection, turbo 4 engines these days. I suggest we get used to it for the sake of globalization, green initiatives and more bang-for-buck Chinese wonder-widgets. Seriously, can we expect better when our car engines are managed by Ctrl-Alt-Delete technology? We elect people who dictate what car manufacturers are going to sell (BMWs this size with I-4's), lose focus on quality and confuse it with quantity (my touch screen is bigger than yours), and the economics of "one world good feelings" (how many ignition and fuel management electronics bits are shared between a Daewoo, PS4 and a Whirlpool dishwasher? It seems like cars, such as BMW, and Mercedes-Benz will always get a "pass" on slipping quality, as long as everyone else slips downward at the same rate. So long as the steering wheel has enough buttons. Enjoy!
  • Options
    camrydriver69camrydriver69 Member Posts: 54
    The Edmunds Dodge Dart got sent to the automotive graveyard and Edmunds didn't make a big deal of it. Long term tests or advertisements?
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Edmunds had a Lexux RX hybrid SUV a few years ago. It got terrible gas mileage and then mysteriously disappeared with no explanation either..
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    dkizeriandkizerian Member Posts: 4
    3rd service was the Bermuda Triangle for this Bee Em Dubbya
  • Options
    hispd4funhispd4fun Member Posts: 4
    Can we get an update on this car.
  • Options
    juleswheeljuleswheel Member Posts: 1
    Hello, is anyone there?.........