Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suspension Articulation and Ramp Travel Index - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Ram
imageSuspension Articulation and Ramp Travel Index - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

I finally drove our 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel 4x4 up our Ramp Travel Index ramp to measure its suspension articulation and determine its RTI score.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Interesting to see the significant difference with the Power Wagon setup if you need that kind of capability.
  • Options
    stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2015
    After your RTI entry about the Colorado, I wondered if your Cherokee had been subjected to this measurement. I may not have looked hard enough, but could not find anything about it. Articulation doesn't seem to be a strength in these KL Platform Cherokees. I'm curious how your "Limited" would do; and more curious to see how it compares against a "Trailhawk" trimmed model.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    The Ram has an air suspension. Can you raise the truck's ride height?
  • Options
    prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Check out the twist indicated by the silver trim differences between the cab and bed.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2015
    Our Ram does not have the optional air suspension - it has the standard fixed-height coil springs.

If it did, raising it to the highest setting would worsen RTI compared to the default normal height because the springs get stiffer once the air pressure is raised to lift the truck. In fact I just measured a Land Rover LR4 last week, and it had air suspension. In the normal default mode it scored 560 points, but in "high" mode it scored only 457 points. Air suspension set to high mode helps clearance, but it degrades articulation.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451

After your RTI entry about the Colorado, I wondered if your Cherokee had been subjected to this measurement. I may not have looked hard enough, but could not find anything about it. Articulation doesn't seem to be a strength in these KL Platform Cherokees. I'm curious how your "Limited" would do; and more curious to see how it compares against a "Trailhawk" trimmed model.

I have not yet measured our Cherokee Limited. I have measured a Cherokee Trailhawk, and it scored just 324 points. Our Mazda CX-5 did a little better with 334 points. But the Trailhawk is still superior off-highway because of its knobby tires, low-range transfer case and lockable rear differential. As for the Cherokee Limited, I'll measure it soon.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test