Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Wi-Fi Speed Test - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Audi
imageWi-Fi Speed Test - 2015 Audi A3 Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Audi A3 offers a 4G LTE connection as part of its MMI Navigation Plus package. Is it any faster?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I don't see how these in car hotspots are worth it. All cell providers offer tethering options with their cell plans which would be cheaper than what the car companies are charging. Can you run the test with a lap top (or another phone) and compare the speeds to what you get if you tethered the lap top to your phone?
  • Options
    jakek66jakek66 Member Posts: 60
    Something is wrong with the picture or screen on the Audi. After password it looks all fuzzy!
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    @djd352 - Yep, our wireless is pretty messed up. You wouldn't believe how bad Sprint "3G" service was (I used them for 7 years). I was lucky to get 500k per second. Often it was unusable to view even a text web page.

I agree that this makes no sense. $20 per meg is pretty steep, but it'd be okay if it was linear, but its not. I'm sure if it uses even 1k of data, you're going to get charged $20 minimum monthly. 1.1 gigs becomes $40.

Tethering is a touchy subject and it often either violates the terms of your provider or they charge a ridiculous extra fee for it (like $30 per month). I'm with Cricket and that'd be awesome to provide internet in the car for iPads and other tablets, but I'd risk getting in hot water with them since they clearly state that its not allowed.
  • Options
    rm2008rm2008 Member Posts: 31
    jakek66 said:

Something is wrong with the picture or screen on the Audi. After password it looks all fuzzy!

jakek66, the password was intentionally blurred for privacy reasons. -Ron Montoya, Consumer Advice Editor
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    The WiFi, even an older flavor like G band has a theoritical max speed far higher than the best you will get from any LTE provider in the US. And it should deliver data to a phone located a few feet from the transmitter with little to no degradation in speed. What it can't do is give you a faster connection than it has to the internet. The issue has to be with AT&T.
  • Options
    gggggwgggggw Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    OMG, you're [non-permissible content removed]. First, jakek66 was making a joke. Second, this isn't even remotely scientific. You were comparing AT&T's service to Verizon's for one spot on the planet. A better test would be to test an AT&T phone with the Audi's AT&T service or at least drive to multiple spots and take multiple readings. It's amazing what passes for a tech review these days.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited March 2015
    i wouldn't think verizon and att's lte service speeds would vary that much in LA. maybe i'm wrong but this seems a useful test. also consider that if you have three passengers connected to the WIFI that is going to seriously slow down the service further. i see the point in it (wifi) but i completely agree that internet service/prices in the u.s.a. are completely messed up compared to other countries. having said that, we are geographically a much larger country than those in europe and japan which seem to have the best internet service.
  • Options
    adantiumadantium Member Posts: 42
    If you want to make an accurate comparison you need to bring a laptop and pair through the phone and then pair through the car and test the speeds of both connections using the same cell service provider. Don't you think?
  • Options
    cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    edited March 2015
    I would think that AT&T's and Verizon's speed would vary that much in LA. There are thousands of cell sites all over. Each with sectors, and only one sector could be more loaded than the other for each carrier on each sector.....

Connected cars are complete ripoff and joke in this day and age. They should just equip cars with a 5GHz WiFi adapter and call it a day. I have a cell phone, I don't need to pay AT&T or Verizon or Sprint (sadly - The UConnect provider) more money to gain this feature that comes with most plans, is standard on most phones. I refuse to support it for that reason. It's redundant revenue generation control by the auto manuf's and the two most expensive carriers. VZ and AT&T have pretty much all of this market on lock. It's up to us to let them know we don't want to keep paying them more money for the same thing.
  • Options
    socal_ericsocal_eric Member Posts: 189
    It doesn't need to be scientific, just an observation of what the Audi system might be capable of in a specific area. It would have been better observation though if you could source someone with a modern AT&T smart phone and test in the same location (which I imagine would yield similar results but would be nice to have backed up by that test).

Maybe AT&T's network is better and faster in other areas or slower in others. Unfortunately you're stuck with it, unlike a cell phone where you can easily switch handset and carriers. Which is one problem I have as newer technology comes out years down the road and you're stuck with what the car came with. That's one reason why I'd much rather the car be able to tether.

The other is prices. Thanks for posting the manufacturer's fees and I'd love to see that mentioned in all future articles that talk about in-car WiFi. I guess it might not be terrible for someone that doesn't already have the ability to tether or is always running out of data, but dang, those prices are expensive compared to something like T-Mobile's $30 pre-paid with 5GB high-speed and unlimited 2G/Edge speed after that. Even on most normal contract plans with the bigger carriers it would normally be cheaper to add tethering than paying for these in-car plans. And with your phone, you could use that everywhere, unlike in-car where I can see it mostly catering to passengers and can't be used elsewhere.
  • Options
    iconfabulatediconfabulated Member Posts: 1
    Hey A3 owners, do any of you have any further impressions/data points for your AT&T connection? I've been having similar frustrations here in Portland, OR area (city and suburbs). It can't stream audio from Google Play worth a damn (usually between 0.5 and 3Mbps using the same speedtest app), whereas my Verizon connection works flawlessly.

I'm starting to wonder if it's actually the Wi-fi router that's the issue and creating a bottleneck. I can't seem to find the admin access though, to log in and tweak anything or reset/update. I renewed my data contract mostly for the maps and internet POI searches, but wish it would actually do what was advertised!