Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Freeway Brake Test - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Toyota
imageFreeway Brake Test - 2014 Toyota Highlander Limited Long-Term Road Test

Despite its large size, the 2014 Toyota Highlander performs well in panic-stop situations.

Read the full story here

Comments

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    it doesn't necessarily need to be a sudden stop. i have learned to increase my following distances on a certain section of I69 north of indianapolis especially during rush hour. even when i see the backup coming and start to brake early the people behind me don't see all the brake lights until the last few seconds. into the median and shoulder they go...

distracted driving is out of hand and only modern tires and abs systems are saving these people from more crashes...
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    I don't like leaving huge gaps of space in front of me. Not only are some people excessive when it comes to this, these are usually the same people in the far left lane going below the speed limit. Please go slow over to the right or get on the streets.

I know the capability of my cars braking. I set distance accordingly with what I'm driving. My godmothers 2002 Explorer? Plenty of space.. that thing almost feels like it has no brakes.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    cx7lover said:

I don't like leaving huge gaps of space in front of me. Not only are some people excessive when it comes to this, these are usually the same people in the far left lane going below the speed limit. Please go slow over to the right or get on the streets.

I know the capability of my cars braking. I set distance accordingly with what I'm driving. My godmothers 2002 Explorer? Plenty of space.. that thing almost feels like it has no brakes.

I completely agree. If anything, I'm more likely to adjust my following distance based on the driving habits of the car in front of me. As far as the Explorer, I can definitely agree; my mother had a 2003 Explorer and the brakes were terrifyingly bad. The difference between her Explorer and current 2013 Tiguan are night and day.
  • kippakippa Member Posts: 1
    This morning my family and I were cruising with traffic driving down the Grapevine section of northbound I-5. This is a steep section of roadway that requires big rigs to travel at 35 mph. I have made several trips on this roadway but today was the second time I was in my 2014 Highlander. I have to say this was the scariest time I have ever been in a car when not involved in an accident. Traffic started to slow down and as I started to apply pressure on my brakes, the entire car started shaking (the pressure was light and the ABS was not engaged). The car started shaking so much it alerted my three kids to look up from their electronics and wonder what was happening. My attempt to brake wasn't slowing my vehicle down the way I wanted it to and I resorted to shifting the engine down using the manual shifting feature. Once on level ground I performed a series of hard braking test and the vehicle performed fine. I am not sure if anyone else has encountered this type of problem. I have never experienced braking problems like this in my 26 years of driving and never thought I would on a vehicle that is less than one year old.