Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Push-Button Shifter Works Just Fine - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Acura
imagePush-Button Shifter Works Just Fine - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52
    One thing I was disappointed with is there is no manual mode. Yes you can shift via the paddle shifters, but the second your in a gear to long it auto shifts.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

One thing I was disappointed with is there is no manual mode. Yes you can shift via the paddle shifters, but the second your in a gear to long it auto shifts.

Full manual mode requires being in Sport+ mode. From the Acura website:

"Using a paddle shifter in Sport+ puts the transmission in full manual mode, greatly enhancing control for high-performance or hilly driving."
  • Options
    schen72 said:

"Using a paddle shifter in Sport+ puts the transmission in full manual mode, greatly enhancing control for high-performance or hilly driving."
    Yeah, but being in that mode is overkill. Continuously keeping the revs high and not suitable for the real world.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Try a couple three-point turns and let us know how it goes. I recall somebody doing something similar with the Ram's rotary shifter and being less than thrilled.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    There's another reason this works and it's the location of the buttons. They put them pretty much where a shift lever usually goes, where your hand would naturally fall. Lincoln has also gone with a button arrangement but it's high up on the dash in a spot where you have to put in a little extra effort to lean forward and reach. Not a big deal. Except for three point turns and parallel parking, etc. where you have to reach that extra distance repeatedly.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    "Rarely used neutral..." Why?? If you can drive properly, you when bring the car to a halt you shift into neutral, apply the parking brake and then shift into park. I also shift into neutral at red lights, but that's a habit from learning to drive in England.
  • Options
    yellowmiatayellowmiata Member Posts: 23
    Doesn't the prius also have an odd shifter? The older prius I had a chance to drive had a joystick which didn't have positions or detents. It was odd, but for those of us that own cars for more than a few days at a time, this shift is probably something we get used to and quit complaining about.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I have never thought about it this way before, but one of the things I like best about manual transmissions is that I don't have to look at the lever at all to use it - it's all done by feel. That can't be said of any auto transmission selector.
  • Options
    BMW uses a joystick style shifter and it took me all of one day for it to feel like second nature (rental car). I think I'd figure out Acura's shifter pretty quickly.
  • Options

schen72 said:

Yeah, but being in that mode is overkill. Continuously keeping the revs high and not suitable for the real world.
    Have you actually driven a TLX to experience this? I haven't, so I'm really not sure if it's troublesome. I have 3 other Acuras that have the older style "move shifter to manual mode" and those also require use of the paddle shifters. It works fine for me. I also never use the paddle shifters unless I'm on hilly roads and want to hold a gear going downhill.
  • Options
    schen72 said:

schen72 said:

Have you actually driven a TLX to experience this? I haven't, so I'm really not sure if it's troublesome. I have 3 other Acuras that have the older style "move shifter to manual mode" and those also require use of the paddle shifters. It works fine for me. I also never use the paddle shifters unless I'm on hilly roads and want to hold a gear going downhill.
    I have driven it and it was one of the issues I had with the car.
  • Options
    rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    Soul-Sucking.

Is this supposed to be luxury? It's like the office cubicle one just spent 8+ hours in, then has to be in when they drive. I'd kill myself.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I always thought the point of these and the rotary shifters in other cars was make room in the center console for more storage or other options. This setup makes zero sense in that regard so what is it's purpose? A normal shift stick takes up the same amount of space as these buttons so I fail to see any benefit, just a poorly interpreted gimmick.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    baggs32 said:

A normal shift stick takes up the same amount of space as these buttons so I fail to see any benefit, just a poorly interpreted gimmick.

Here's one reason: it's cheaper. Same thing with push button parking brakes. There are fewer moving parts. There's less assembly. There's less material. Automakers spend much of their time figuring out ways to do things more efficiently and cheaply. When they can do this and also convince the public that the novelty is also a "luxury" feature, so much the better. I would even bet that touchscreen interfaces are cheaper than buying and installing the multitude of buttons they replace.
  • Options
    notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93

"Rarely used neutral..." Why?? If you can drive properly, you when bring the car to a halt you shift into neutral, apply the parking brake and then shift into park. I also shift into neutral at red lights, but that's a habit from learning to drive in England.

Why would you shift so much? Each one puts just that much more unneeded strain on your tranny.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    baggs32 said:

I always thought the point of these and the rotary shifters in other cars was make room in the center console for more storage or other options. This setup makes zero sense in that regard so what is it's purpose? A normal shift stick takes up the same amount of space as these buttons so I fail to see any benefit, just a poorly interpreted gimmick.

IT does offer my room in the console. In addition to the ubiquitous cup holders, there is now covered cubbies for phones and a charging cubby that can be closed to keep prying eyes from seeing (and possibly trying to steal) your powered accessories.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    noflash1noflash1 Member Posts: 13

One thing I was disappointed with is there is no manual mode. Yes you can shift via the paddle shifters, but the second you're in a gear too long it auto shifts.

Also, your username is racist.