Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Sporadic Clicking Noise - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Ram
imageSporadic Clicking Noise - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

An Edmunds editor has noticed a clicking noise coming from the engine compartment. The sporadic nature makes it difficult to pinpoint the problem.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64
    Could be the injectors
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Here comes the random problems from what whole drama where they tore the whole vehicle apart.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "Where did the Ram go Dad?"
    "We sent it down to the farm son.."

Dodge Dart anyone?
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    There are two things that could be done to try and aid the technician in experiencing the noise, which is really important when it comes to having a real chance of identifying its origin. One would be to make an arrangement to get the truck straight to the dealer while the sound is occurring and have the shop pre-arranged for the visit so that someone could start investigating it immediately on the trucks arrival. The second is to be very diligent about documenting the frequency of the events and the conditions most likely to get the symptom to occur. By the description the issue is random in nature and the technician if paid at all to try and investigate this will get a minimal allowance at best, likely something on the order of .3 hours (eighteen minutes). If they treat it as a "comeback" the tech in all likelihood will not be paid at all for the time that he/she invests in trying to confirm the symptom and maybe even the repair no matter what it actually going on.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    How about a video of this issue?
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

Here comes the random problems from what whole drama where they tore the whole vehicle apart.

Agreed. There is no way they put all that back together without screwing something up.
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    gslippy said:

How about a video of this issue?

Best documentation ever. Also, best to geotag the video :-)
  • Options
    jstrauch81jstrauch81 Member Posts: 64

Yep, I always cringe when the dealership needs to dismantle a lot of stuff. When I had my s2000 the transmission started acting up, I took it in, they ripped it apart... when I got it back it made a TERRIBLE grinding noise in reverse. Ended up replacing the whole thing because they couldn't fix it right.
  • Options
    thelocu5tthelocu5t Member Posts: 1
    At least their coolant is the right color, unlike 10+ of us with oil in the coolant :| Truck has also become as loud as a freakin' powerstroke in the last 1,500 miles... Me thinks she's going to blow soon.
  • Options
    toromoortoromoor Member Posts: 1
    Can you guys check out this link there is a lot being said about this thanks
    http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/5492-edmunds-test-update-uh-oh.html