Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 New York Auto Show: 2016 Chevrolet Malibu (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Chevrolet
image2015 New York Auto Show: 2016 Chevrolet Malibu (FAQ) | Edmunds.com

The completely redesigned 2016 Chevrolet Malibu midsize four-door sedan features sleeker styling, more interior room, less weight and improved safety.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Interior styling is a vast improvement over the current one, but it looks like a friggin' carbon-copy of a Chrysler 200 from the outside. Google image search for white 200s and compare to the photos above.
  • Options
    hlislehlisle Member Posts: 8
    Looks like a re-badged Impala...
  • Options
    kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    As Emajor stated, looks like Chrysler 200 from the outside. Nice interior though
  • Options
    mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    edited April 2015
    Tiny GM turbos would not be my choice for reliability and they have less power than some of the competition. Those engine choices look like they would go in a Cruz not a Malibu.
  • Options
    herrstreetherrstreet Member Posts: 27
    I think it's the tail lights that are making you guys think Chrysler 200, and I don't disagree. But overall, I think it is not overly similar to the Chrysler beyond they similarities of size, style of construction, and intended use for families. It is a huge improvement over the outgoing model. I would not have minded it being slightly less fussy up front but it sure seems to have a lot more potential than any other recent Chevy design.
  • Options
    throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Not bad exterior styling for a mainstream 4 door sedan. GM's interiors however seem to be regressing with the exception of cadillac.
  • Options
    c7scaymanc7scayman Member Posts: 1
    It also looks slightly like a Hyundai Sonata. Same shape.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    I think it looks killer, but will have to see it in person. That base powertrain seems a little underpowered for the size of the car, but maybe the diet they put it on will make it quicker. Can't wait to see a full test, but GM/Chevy is heading in the right direction IMO.
  • Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    hlisle said:

Looks like a re-badged Impala...

no complaints from me on offering a smaller Impala.

• Options
    subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Sharp styling both inside and out along with a strong family resemblance to the Impala. This is what is needed to compete with the sharply styled Ford Fusion, Mazda 6 and Kia Optima. I hope the driving dynamics match the styling. The HiPer Strut suspension geometry should be used if needed to eliminate torque steer with the more powerful engine option and allow for crisper handling.
  • Options
    besquaredbesquared Member Posts: 1
    At first glance, it looked like the Toyota Avalon
  • Options
    reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Looks fresh and unoffensive. I like how the design language is inline with the other segments.
    You'll definitely be able to tell at a glance it's not an Accord or Camry.
  • Options
    meteor10meteor10 Member Posts: 59
    typical american car with no taste(
  • Options
    phantogramphantogram Member Posts: 13
    throwback said:

Not bad exterior styling for a mainstream 4 door sedan. GM's interiors however seem to be regressing with the exception of cadillac.

Cadillac's interiors don't stack up to their competition either...think Benz, Audi, Lexus...all waaay better quality

WreckEmTech
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited April 2015
    Not totally sure about this one until I see it in person. But I'm thinking it will improve Malibu's lot in the midsized market. The new Chevy front end's in general seem a bit busy to me, but it still looks much better to me than the new Camry and it's way too exaggerated puss. The greenhouse reminds me of the previous gen VW Passat. Wonder how that apparently sloping roofline will impact rear headroom? Overall, I think it will probably be a decent looking car given it's new dimensions, but I'm thinking the Impala is the better looker of the two. Of course, it also costs more. Wonder how much price differential there will be between this gen and the Impala? To me, based on the pictures, I don't think the new Malibu interior looks all that bad given it's price point. Hopefully it will keep the nice sized front seats from the current model. Seems like Ford has been shortening these seat cushions on some of their models which make them less comfortable for a six footer like me. Some of the Ford's I've been in just don't seem to have the same seat comfort as a few years back, but maybe it's just something with my body dimensions. The Malibu's I've rented just seem to have more comfortable driver seating than some of the competitors.
  • Options
    mittzombiemittzombie Member Posts: 162
    That exterior, interior and engine choices make me believe this will be a huge flop, It seems not even competitive now and it is just coming out. .
  • Options
    rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    Look kids! It's another "Me Too" shape!
  • Options
    metalmaniametalmania Member Posts: 167
    I hate to say it but this looks like another near-miss for me. Why can't GM put a good looking grill on a mainstream car, what's with all the jagged lines? The body sculpting on the side doors looks out of place and kind of pointless. I'd rather have seen it with just good clean lines instead of weird creases, it ruins the exterior for me. Interior is ok, at least it's not some overstyled sci-fi looking thing. I don't see anything uncompetetive with the powertrains. Pretty much everyone in this segment has a 4cyl in the 160-185 hp range as the standard engine and a bigger turbo 4 (or rarely a V6 nowadays) in the 240-270 hp range, and an optional hybrid. These engines are right in the ballpark, and if the car is lighter might actually end up on the quicker end of the scale. I do hope it drives well and does well for GM, but I still don't think it will make a big enough splash to give Honda/Toyota/Ford, heck maybe not even Hyundai anything to really worry about. Accord and Camry have decades worth of loyal customers. Fusion "wowed" a lot of people when the latest redesign came out. Even the Mazda6 makes people look twice (or more). I'm not sure this new Malibu is going to have that kind of appeal.
  • Options
    ddarda71ddarda71 Member Posts: 2
    I would drive this over a honda or toyota.. least it has appeal and not a vanilla appliance.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Berri, I've noticed that too, about the Malibu's seats versus some of the competition. While the current Malibu gets some static for its tight back seat legroom, I'm at least impressed with the size and thickness of the seats. They feel like thick, over-stuffed seats, the kind that SHOULD go into a midsized car. The last time I sat in an Accord (and it was the current generation) the seats felt small, like something that should be in a compact. And I'm not overly impressed with the Fusion, either. It doesn't feel nearly as roomy inside as its published specs suggest. Plus, like you mentioned, the under-sized seats.

I had a chance to ride in a current-gen Altima recently, and it was comfy. The seats were a bit low, but went back really far. And my uncle has a 2013 Camry. I'd presume the current model is about the same, since it looks like it's just a haphazard facelift. Comfort-wise, I don't think it's anything to brag about. Not horrible, but not great, either. I'll be curious to try out the new Malibu when it hits the streets.

I'm impressed that GM re-did the Malibu so quickly. The current model has only had a 3-year run (2013-15), although the Regal version has been around since what? 2011?
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Another lane design from Ed Welburn. It's time to hire someone else, GM.