Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Battle of Britain - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2015 in Jaguar
imageThe Battle of Britain - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Comparing the Aston Martin V8 Vantage to the Edmunds Long-Term Jaguar F-Type.

Read the full story here

Comments

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I like the Jag, and I'm sure it's probably a better car all around, but I would go with the Vantage. The James Bond fan in me would make the call. Plus I think the vantage still looks so good!
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    The Aston every single day. The Jag may be better quality wise , but it is still lacking compared to Porsche (plastic painted gear shift paddles?) in build and performance. So why not go with the cooler car?

You don't buy these things as all round cars. Funny thing, even if you did the Porsche 911 takes that crown too! So, for quality/handling/performance - Porsche 911.
    For coolness - Aston Freakin Martin.
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    A-M, but not in that hideous paint scheme above.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    edited March 2015
    I would choose the Aston Martin V-8 Vantage. Aston Martin makes the most beautiful sports cars in the world...far more beautiful than any Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche. From the V-8 Vantage to the four-door Rapide...beautiful. Before the Vantage is condemned for being too crude for daily driving, it should be configured just like the Jaguar...with an automatic transmission and appropriate creature comforts. Then drive the two on a demanding track or mountain road and then as daily drivers on regular roads. I like the Jaguar, but it seems, at times, as if the brand is trying too hard with the more extroverted styling and ridiculously loud exhaust. Advantage Aston Martin.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    I think I need your job, Takahashi.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    edited April 2015
    I would take the Jag. It truly is the Hannah Davis of the car world.
  • 67es33567es335 Member Posts: 1
    I took my XKRS in for an oil change. While there I had the opportunity to test drive a 2014 DB9 that was like new with 12k miles - or there abouts. The DB9 was just down right beautiful but the interior was weird, with the square cup holders and buttons and straps in strange places. It didn't feel as special as has been talked about in numerous articles. It drove with a very twitchy rear end. It actually felt very similar to the XKRS but more soft. When I test drove the R Coupe I new with in 100 feet that I was going to buy it. It felt planted and toss-able. With the Aston Martin DB9 I had met my hero and was let down. What a disappointment! Even the XKRS felt more special. The materials in the AM are top notch but the way they are used is more for looks than function. I'm still shocked. I have to give them one more chance with the Vantage. The only way I can describe the difference between the Jag and the AM is soul. The jag has soul and the AM does not. I am shocked and sad. How could such a beautiful car on the outside be such a let down on the inside? The materials are top notch, probably better than the Jag. So how could it feel less special? It was like everything was done for show for the rich. Form without function. The silly metal speed and RPM dials that work in reverse and are really hard to see. The square cup holders covered in suede that would stain with the first cup of coffee. The stupid glass key that you have to insert in to a hole in the dash to start the car. Then the dumb readout that says something about beauty, soul and spirit or some stupid thing that doesn't apply to the car. It was all show. The 12 cylinder engine sounded quiet compared to the jag. The jag is almost too loud I must admit. The DB9 felt like it was made for a rich person to drive on the week ends around town. The XKRS feels like it was made for a car guy to shred the tires. The R Coupe feels like it was made for the enthusiast that likes to drive at 9/10ths on the B roads. It's a special car. It's not a 911 and it shouldn't strive to be. It's better. Well done Jaguar!