Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Clicking inside back right corner - Expedition

pdalbeypdalbey Member Posts: 31
edited April 2015 in Ford
I believe the clicking is coming from inside the rear heat and A/C compartment. What's doing the clicking and why? But most of all...how do I get inside that box? Where do I start removing the cover?

Comments

• Options
    alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    The clicking is one of two blend door actuators that are back there. One controls floor to ceiling air flow, one controls temperature. The easy one to fix is the floor to ceiling actuator, which is right on top of the wheel arch below the little change tray thing. Use the controls up front and change the location of the air flow to see if the noise stops or changes. If it does, then this is the actuator you are after. If not, it is a little more involved to get to the other one. To get the change tray out, grab the edge by the window and flex the middle of the tray towards you. It is held in by little arrow shaped barbs along the length, so you are trying to flex those away from the main panel they holding onto. Once it get started, you need to just work it.
  • Options
    To see the actuators, once you get the change tray out, the floor to ceiling one is actually just ahead of the opening you uncovered. Look towards the middle row and you will a translucent little box, slightly bigger than a deck of cards. The temperature one is a little more tricky - still looking towards the middle row, now look towards the left in that opening, and the little box is down around the side of the wheel arch.
  • Options
    Thanks for your info ! Do you think these actuators are readily available at my ford dealer's parts department? I'm sure I can do the replacements now that you told me how to get the cover off. Thanks again !
  • Options
    They are readily available. Be careful when getting them, they are actually two different part numbers, so either do both or figure out which one it is first. They are also available at most auto parts stores. I have photos of their locations, but can't see a way to post them.
  • Options
    Considering the effort to get the cover off, if they both total around $150 then I'll just do both and be done with that problem. There are other small issues the Expy has that are simply annoyances, too. Like driver's seat belt retractor is pretty worn out. etc.
  • Options
    They are around $50 each. To help in getting at them, you can also pull the cup holder next to the second row seat. It pulls straight up, or you can push it from below if the change tray is out.
  • Options
    Glad it worked.  Did you do it without taking the big piece of molding off?  A dealership gets around $400 for that job. 
  • Options
    Yep. I leaned the big molding piece out toward me, wedged a piece of 2x4 between it and the window frame. Otherwise it looked as tho' I'd have to remove 3rd row seat to get to its floor attachment.