Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Big V8 Takes Big Oil at 5,000 Miles - 2015 Lexus RC F Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Lexus
imageBig V8 Takes Big Oil at 5,000 Miles - 2015 Lexus RC F Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2015 Lexus RC F is due for service at 5,000 miles.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    All that extra oil capacity does a nice job of puling lots of heat out of the motor.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Ten quarts of most likely synthetic oil in a 5-liter engine, and it has to be changed every 5,000 miles? Um, for what? I'm wondering what a Blackstone oil analysis of the "old" oil would show...probably that it still has about 70% of its life left.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i completely agree, fordson1.

what kind of R&D did Lexus do on that OCI?

they have this weird setup on the highlander where you have to come in to the dealer for "inspections" and no oil change... would make more sense on this type of a car and extend the OCI.

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    I change oil in my BMW 550i, which holds a similar amount, every 5k miles, too. 545/550 owners who followed the oil monitor have had oil related engine issues. I think it is a wise investment with cars of this nature.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    That's one ugly engine bay.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    s197gt said:

i completely agree, fordson1.

what kind of R&D did Lexus do on that OCI?

they have this weird setup on the highlander where you have to come in to the dealer for "inspections" and no oil change... would make more sense on this type of a car and extend the OCI.

That IS quite strange, especially for a family-hauler, highly reliable (and rated) vehicle like the Highlander. Its kinda of the opposite for the Honda Pilot. People freak out because it only has you changing the (now cardboard based) oil filter every other change, Transmission Fluid at 30k and Coolant/Spark Plugs at 100k.
    vvk said:

I change oil in my BMW 550i, which holds a similar amount, every 5k miles, too. 545/550 owners who followed the oil monitor have had oil related engine issues. I think it is a wise investment with cars of this nature.

I can't say about the older (pre-2010) cars, but the recent 550i is turbocharged...that's a different animal. I just think changing this much of this kind of oil, this frequently, is kind of ridiculous. I thought the 5k mile oil change interval on my wife's Sienna (6.4 quarts) was kind of silly, too, but not like this.
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    Maybe Toyota's past sludge issues are keeping them conservative on the OCIs. They also don't want to end up with a pile of warranty claims like GM did with the too-long intervals on the 2.4 Ecotec.
    fordson1 said:

I can't say about the older (pre-2010) cars, but the recent 550i is turbocharged...that's a different animal. I just think changing this much of this kind of oil, this frequently, is kind of ridiculous. I thought the 5k mile oil change interval on my wife's Sienna (6.4 quarts) was kind of silly, too, but not like this.

I am talking about the older pre-2010 non-turbo cars. An oil change costs me $60 in BMW-spec oil and filter. It is very easy to do. I really don't see a problem with doing it. The cars asks for an oil change about every 15k miles, which is about every two-three years for me.
    Two issues - you need eight quarts, not ten like this Lexus (which should translate into a longer change interval for the Lexus anyway, compared to your car), and the best price I can find on a kit or separate pieces of BMW-spec SYNTHETIC oil & filter for your 545i is around $79.

You say it costs you $60 for a BMW-spec filter and oil. Well, if it costs you only $60, you're probably not using synthetic, and so we're talking apples and oranges here, both in terms of the amount of oil involved and the type of oil involved.

Also it should go without saying that whatever kind of oil you're using, you don't leave it in the crankcase for more than a year, regardless of mileage.
  • kshankarkshankar Member Posts: 175
    Lexus provides 5K and 10K miles as complimentary maintenance. 15K mile service and thereafter, you pay for.
    fordson1 said:

Two issues - you need eight quarts, not ten like this Lexus (which should translate into a longer change interval for the Lexus anyway, compared to your car), and the best price I can find on a kit or separate pieces of BMW-spec SYNTHETIC oil & filter for your 545i is around $79.

You say it costs you $60 for a BMW-spec filter and oil. Well, if it costs you only $60, you're probably not using synthetic, and so we're talking apples and oranges here, both in terms of the amount of oil involved and the type of oil involved.

Also it should go without saying that whatever kind of oil you're using, you don't leave it in the crankcase for more than a year, regardless of mileage.

9 quarts, actually.

I use Castrol Edge 0W-40. It is synthetic. It has BMW LL-01 approval. It is Made in Germany :)

I typically pay $50 for 10 quarts. Walmart or Amazon. In fact, I just received 10 quarts from WalMart today.

I like Hengst oil filters for my BMWs. No longer buy MANN, don't like their Mexican made products.

BMW USA pays for annual oil changes for cars under free maintenance. In Europe some manufacturers specify OCIs longer than a year.
  • caramelo91caramelo91 Member Posts: 13
    I think that the way they see it, if they don't change the oil after a 5k mile interval, you're gonna be going on 10k miles before your next scheduled maintenance visit. It could be a matter of them not feeling comfortable having you go 10k miles in a high performance vehicle like the RC F.