Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrome In the Cabin: Why?! - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Ram
imageChrome In the Cabin: Why?! - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

This long-term update to Edmunds' 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel discusses the Ram's chrome interior trim and its propensity to create distracting glare.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    Ooohh, shiny! The audience thinks it looks expensive, and sun glare is not noticed in the showroom or a ten minute test drive. Poor choice of materials, but the manufacturers know what their customers respond to.
  • Options
    dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    I see that stuff in cars and it screams "cheap" to me.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    The Jaguar XF I test drove in 2011 had the same issue, so I didn't buy it. Absolutely maddening.
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Member Posts: 13
    I like chrome. The more the better. Modern chrome, plated over ABS plastic, is much nicer than old time chrome plated on steel in that it does not rust and is easier to care for. I love the Laramie Rams massive chrome front end, well done indeed, very old school American with a modern twist. And for my money they don't slather enough chrome on the inside. If I wanted an all monochromatic interior I'd buy a 95' Civic in mousefuzz grey. (Had one) This is an American full size pickup, extra chrome please.
  • Options
    rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    mcheath, I can understand where you're coming from: American auto tradition = GOOD STUFF, but too much in the interior can be a bad thing IMO. I also miss V6 and V8s in cars (sedans/coupes) as the turbo-4s seem like artificial power. You know the drill: it's great on the test drive, but when the temps get up in the 90's and the AC 's turned on, it's just a noisy turd on wheels.

I sympathize with the others though who find the chrome distracting and blinding. I'd like to see modest applications of something like gunmetal blue. I wonder what that would look like in a black or grey interior? I guess I just like the German style of subdued, somber interiors. But, THE ABSOLUTE WORST car interior trend are the large swaths of silver-painted plastic all over the place. To me, THAT says El cheapo, but like seppoboy said, the audience thinks it makes it a luxury vehicle. I remember all the 1970s offerings that had the silver panels going on and every time I see it in a modern day vehicle, I think of cars like the Ford Grenada. I hope the silver-plastic trend ends soon so I can stomach getting a new car!