Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Performance-Tested - How Does The V6 Compare to the Four-Cylinder? - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Acura
imagePerformance-Tested - How Does The V6 Compare to the Four-Cylinder? - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

It didn't take long for us to complete the break-in period for theV6 engine in our 2015 Acura TLX. We brought it to our test track for performance testing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Well, it certainly has Honda brakes, doesn't it? $46k and the SHAWD package, and that doesn't buy you any larger brakes, or ventilated rear rotors, and it doesn't buy you any better tires than these ancient Goodyear rim-protectors? What is the point of super-handling all-wheel-drive with dynamic performance this poor?

You may have set an all-time low-mile record for warping a set of Honda brake rotors...not by much, though.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Interesting to see how little effect the ESC had on acceleration data. It seems like other vehicles lose at least a couple tenths of a second in acceleration runs with ESC on, but this car performed impressively well with ESC on or off.

Sounds like Honda has the same old brake problems.
  • Options
    redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52
    9 speeds just seems like too much. I know in part it has to do with fuel efficiency, but for sporty driving I feel like it will search for gears to often. I'd like to drive it to get an impression, though I will say the BMW 8 speed is amazing.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

9 speeds just seems like too much. I know in part it has to do with fuel efficiency, but for sporty driving I feel like it will search for gears to often. I'd like to drive it to get an impression, though I will say the BMW 8 speed is amazing.

BMW doesn't nor have they ever made their own automatic transmissions. You mean ZF's 8 speed is amazing. Also, this 9 speed transmission is also a ZF unit.
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Six stops from 60 fried the brakes? Hopeless. That's almost as much a major fail as the Colorado (not) on the RTI ramp.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I don't see a problem with the brakes. I don't need my car to be track ready. I don't take it to the track, like 99.9% of the population.
  • Options
    redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52

BMW doesn't nor have they ever made their own automatic transmissions. You mean ZF's 8 speed is amazing. Also, this 9 speed transmission is also a ZF unit.
    Yeah I know it's a ZF, but the gearing was fantastic when I drove it. However, I feel like with the turbo it gives such a broad powerband so you won't have to gear hunt. Again I like to see how good that ZF 9 speed on the TLX is.
  • Options
    grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Great post, Cameron; thank you.

The brake judder referred to after the sixth stop - was that really from the rotors warping? While I agree with @schen72 that I wouldn't expect my TLX to be track-ready, that does seem disturbing for the brakes to be so fragile.
  • Options
    billyperks4billyperks4 Member Posts: 57
    Warping is nothing new to Honda- their brakes and lack of low end grunt is their nemesis.
    I had the 2009 sh-awd and the brakes warped twice in a short space of time.
    I am also surprised that they went down in tire size from the 2009- I had 245, the current version shows 225- man that's a step back.
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    This car really just seems to be very middle-of-the-road. The power and performance numbers aren't that impressive, especially when compared to a BMW 328/335 or the new C-Class. I know these cars are a bit more expensive than the TLX, but if Acura really wants to compete in the luxury class and convince customers to buy their cars, they should start equipping them with competitive engines. I still don't understand why Honda/Acura seems to be so averse to turbocharging. I'm not necessarily saying that they should follow the status quo, but plenty of manufacturers have had great success with turbocharging engines; there's no reason why it couldn't benefit Honda as well.
  • Options
    henry4hirehenry4hire Member Posts: 106
    @ SChen72 - Yeah but what about when you are coming down a huge hill grade like the Grapevine here in California and your brakes are making the steering wheel jiggle in your hands and it starts fading before you get to the bottom. Being track ready is one thing, but there are situations out on the regular road that will test your brakes like you are at the track. This is just a symptom of a larger problem that is simply exacerbated at the track. I have a 2006 Acura TSX that I do track and daily drive. When I first bought the car, I had the same issue with the crappy rotors. I replaced the rotors with some high quality blanks, added some Akebono race pads, high performance fluid, stainless-steel brake lines, and only now does it stop with authority. Honda has had terrible brakes (especially rotors) for years now and it looks like they are still up to the same shenanigans. I love my Honda, but those rotors were already dead when I got the car and a simple rotor swap with a non-Acura set made the difference night and day.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Warping is nothing new to Honda- their brakes and lack of low end grunt is their nemesis.
    I had the 2009 sh-awd and the brakes warped twice in a short space of time.
    I am also surprised that they went down in tire size from the 2009- I had 245, the current version shows 225- man that's a step back.

I agree with this...car is almost 3800 lbs. - I have 225-section tires on a 3100-lb GTI. C'mon - put some upsize and better-grade tires on it - these are H-rated, too small and too old. A Grand Touring-class tire, according to Tire Rack, and even in that "developed to deliver a smooth quiet ride" category, they rank 32 out of 36 models. Bleah.

Looks to me as though it's been a long time since Honda's suspension lab and procurement have qualified any new tires. This was the OEM tire on the Honda Element (um, yeah...) in 2007. So 8 years ago they were putting them on their $20k breadvan. What's not to like?

• Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Brakes, in addition to an inordinate amount of trim rattles, that convinced me years ago to get rid of my TL, with only 27,000 miles. It's not like I was racing the thing but the few times in traffic I had to brake hard the brakes felt weak and the stop took longer than I thought I'd need. There might have been a little rotor warp but I did not have confidence in the brakes. The rattles were a pain but I think I eventually could have quieted them all --otherwise it was a very nice car. It's a shame and (maybe) an overreaction but I've never considered a Honda product since.
  • Options
    desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Ahhh, now I remember why I've always avoided Hondas. The brakes.
  • Options
    mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2015
    Acura has definitely cut some corners here, and the base car has Goodyear tires nowadays that are not highly rated on Tire Rack reviews.
  • Options
    mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    chol92594 said:

This car really just seems to be very middle-of-the-road. The power and performance numbers aren't that impressive, especially when compared to a BMW 328/335 or the new C-Class. I know these cars are a bit more expensive than the TLX, but if Acura really wants to compete in the luxury class and convince customers to buy their cars, they should start equipping them with competitive engines. I still don't understand why Honda/Acura seems to be so averse to turbocharging. I'm not necessarily saying that they should follow the status quo, but plenty of manufacturers have had great success with turbocharging engines; there's no reason why it couldn't benefit Honda as well.

Stay tuned, they are releasing their new engine family with Vtec turbo soon here in the States.

• Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    While the brakes are a letdown, the engine/4wd system seems to be doing better than the Mercedes 0-60mph times. The new C300 4Matic tested by Edmunds did it in 6.5 sec while the V6 TLX does it in 6.1
    The 328 BMW is at its own league with a 0-60 in the mid 5s