Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Performance Package Worth The Money? - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Ford
imagePerformance Package Worth The Money? - 2015 Ford Mustang GT Long-Term Road Test

We ordered our long-term 2015 Mustang GT with the GT Performance Package. We brought a GT without the package to the track to compare the two.

Read the full story here

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I guess you just have to ask yourself WHY you are buying a Mustang GT.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    So, how does it compare with the Turbo. Oh wait, that's right... I would agree that you have to really ask yourself how you are going to use it. If you're just looking for a "fun" daily commuter, then your answer should be "heck no". If its solely for the track then "heck yes". Especially now that the GT doesn't look as dramatically improved over the base model as in previous years, you should ask yourself whether the GT really makes financial sense.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Because there is NOTHING like a V8.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    It would have been more interesting if you would have put the wheels from the long-termer on the loaner. I'm willing to bet that most of the gap would have closed. Basically the performance pack is a must if this is a track car, so 90% of buyers will be better served without it.
  • boffboff Member Posts: 91
    Worth the money? That's a complicated question. One consideration is value, in terms of the added components. If you added up what it would cost to acquire all that stuff on the aftermarket and then have it installed on your base GT, it's a screaming value. The diff alone would eat up a good chunk of that, and the regular diff is not very effective or durable. Many PP owners will of course replace the shock, springs, rims and tires right away anyways. But it's presumptuous for people to say that buyers who won't go to the track would be better served without it. Taking that to it's logical conclusion, we'd all be driving Camrys.
  • defyant15defyant15 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2015
    Drove the GT PP - the brakes are simply put incredible. Stupendous, incredible. That alone makes the PP worth it. Thats before the 10+ other unique features that are awesome (improved cooling, tor-sen, great shock dampening, k brace, wheels, tires). The shocks are very good and the handling is taut.

A 1G car for 2500 odd bucks sounds like hell of a deal. Given its a Mustang, thats just the starting point for people wanting to do competitive racier setups. I think it makes the Mustang a serious sports car and GT hybrid.

However, if you want a fun decent handling car thats more along the lines of 'muscle' car or pure GT and will use it to cruise boulevards, drag race or do long jaunts along straight line roads - you have no use for the PP and the regular GT will more than meet your needs! The 2500+ bucks is money better spent on a holiday!
  • notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    defyant15 said:

The 2500+ bucks is money better spent on a holiday!

Or on new tires since you're going to be killing those all seasons pretty quickly with smoky burnouts!
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Those braking numbers remind me why I detest no-season (falsely called all season) tyres on any car with performance pretensions. The acceleration numbers for the automatic are pretty stout. I wonder if that 19 inch wheel package is just getting too big and heavy, even with the 3.73 rear end.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    The stock GT with PP has a lot of wheel hop. This is not good for drag times. A little suspension work goes a long way. I've seen 1/4 times as fast as 12.13 for a NA 2015 GT PP that has had some suspension tweaks and massaging.
  • 427cobraowner427cobraowner Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my 2015 GT six speed manual Ebony Black Performance Package ( Recaro seats, spoiler delete/stripe delete) back in late February, with final delivery in early April. After driving my 2012 Brembo Package this car is not on the same planet. The '12 handled and braked well, but nothing like this. Sure, you can spend $90K on a "Vette", but why would you want to? It's doubled the price, but not double the car. If you're gonna buy one, opt for the Performance package. You will not be disappointed.
  • mtnbiker8mtnbiker8 Member Posts: 39
    427cobraowner - you nailed it. The question is...do you like the feel of a high performance car? Do you like to have a little fun on the way home from the office? I scouted out my new commute home to include some back roads with a few fast corners so I could steer a little with the loud pedal. It's all about grins per dollar factor. The Performance Package car is a hoot.
  • desoto_finsdesoto_fins Member Posts: 6
    Your assertion that "Cars equipped with a manual transmission typically outperform those with automatics on the dragstrip." stopped being true about a decade ago. Look at your own test data. The great majority of high horsepower drag racing cars (other than the 3 Pro series classes) use automatics by choice.
    The premise of you test here is flawed, try testing both cars on a road course where the potential of Performance Package equipped car would be shown.
  • jd_435hpjd_435hp Member Posts: 1
    I got my first Mustang in 2007 and that was it. I was hooked!
    In 2015, I exchanged my 2007 GT automatic and bought a 2015 GT manual, because I wanted Bluetooth, GPS, oh yeah MANUAL transmission… Simply delicious!
    I don’t know much about engine so I would not know the PP advantage, but I do know that we must be few who enjoy going to work every day, just to get behind the wheels of our car… and on those miles, it’s all about that feeling when driving, period!
    So is it worth the money for the PP? I love my wheels and tires, their look is awesome and they stick to the road and curves. And the brakes, they’re scary in their efficiency. My answer is yes for those alone.

When my pony comes out of storage, every April is a new season in itself. It’s the best car I’ve had so far. Simply put, I LOVE my black pony!