Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Trouble Finding the Smart Key - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Jaguar
imageTrouble Finding the Smart Key - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

The Smart Key for our long-term 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe is supposed to allow for keyless entry and ignition, but lately, it's not as smart as we'd like it to be.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    If the Jag is like most other keyless systems if it was the battery you should get a low battery warning before it completely dies. Toyota and Honda (probably others) have the best procedure when the battery is dead in the "key". The Jag seems to have a port or sensor on the left side of the steering wheel while the start button is positioned to the right. Two handed procedure while looking at the dash to see if it has sensed the key and is ready to start. Hondas and Toyotas have you place the key in front of the start button, wait for the start button indicator to change from orange to green, press button.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Something about that sentence cracks me up. "Smart" keys shouldn't need repositioning.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    I've had my '13 Jag XF for over 16 months and have not had such issues with the smart key. Detects and starts every time.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Despite not having received the "battery low" warning for the smart key, I would change the battery.
  • Options
    cworleycworley Member Posts: 1
    Did you have your iphone in the same pocket? I found the smart key on my Toyota Highlander does something similar when I have it in the same pocket with my iphone, or other electronic devices. Its happened even with my work badge (embedded RFID) in the same pocket.
  • Options
    suepermannsuepermann Member Posts: 1
    just for kicks…….put the key in your empty left pants pocket