Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda Odyssey vs. 2014 Toyota Sienna Comparison Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited July 2014 in Honda
image2014 Honda Odyssey vs. 2014 Toyota Sienna Comparison Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds' comparison test of the two minivans we rate the highest. Includes on-road driving impressions, analyses of each van's strengths and weaknesses, instrumented test data, photos, specs and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• golddog1golddog1 Member Posts: 20

Do any of these reviewers realize what a flat floor in a minivan is? The Hondas floor is far from flat after removing the seats. Tell it like its is.

• pandrew03pandrew03 Member Posts: 1

No mention of the acres of ugly hard plastic in the Sienna?

• nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2014

@pandrew03 no mention of the acres of gray plastic in the Odyssey? Looks like a flashback to 1996 even the graining looks like you're stepping into a 90s Honda

• cynic783cynic783 Member Posts: 30

So the Toyota has more HP. But the Honda has more torque and is faster 0-60 than the Toyota. And gets better gas mileage. Edmunds also failed to mention Toyota's antique solid axle rear suspension.

• trexdinotrexdino Member Posts: 6

The 2015 Toyota Sienna has recently been released and has undergone a significant MMC (the Odyssey underwent it's MMC for the 2014MY) - why didn't Edmunds wait for the 2015 Sienna model to compare?

• se_riouslyse_riously Member Posts: 94

@ trexdino - I was thinking the exact same thing, since most of the Sienna's changes were to its interior. To be frank, it really needed it though.

• hondapro_jasonhondapro_jason Member Posts: 1

Honda is the clear winner again. The Sienna is not close to the minivan that the Odyssey is. The minivan was designed for families and the Honda was designed by families with every box checked.

• fotoplaydanfotoplaydan Member Posts: 3

Even though this comparison should have been done with an updated Sienna and was still close; I would not choose the Odyssey based on it's looks and that hideous, cannot-stop-seeing it, hinge line on both sides for the sliding doors.

• jimmdjimmd Member Posts: 6

I wish they would have compared the same trim levels. The weird little second row middle seat in the Sienna seems like its biggest detraction. Meanwhile Honda's VCM issues with their 3.5 L basically prevent me from considering a Honda.

• sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35

Available AWD? Sienna: YES; Honda: NO
    Available Adaptive Cruise Control? Sienna: YES; Honda: NO
    Honda has neither; Toyota has both available, though strangely not available together as they were on the last generation Sienna.
    I bet the new Kia Sedona will waste both of these vans; I look forward to that test.
    Personally, I'm waiting for the next gen Chrysler Town & Country.

• siennafan4lifesiennafan4life Member Posts: 0

Exterior color choices for Honda are poor compared to the Toyota. Plus, no 0% financing for 60 months for the Honda and no cash incentive at all (Toyota offers at least $1000 cash bonus if you finance with TFS). That alone will drive lots of people towards to Toyota!

• siennafan4lifesiennafan4life Member Posts: 0

Tempting to buy (or throw away your money if you look at it the BAD way) another Honda? Read this FIRST:

http://www.hondaproblems.com/problems/excessive-oil-consumption.shtml

You've now been warned!

• DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    We got the 2011 Sienna. Our 3 carseats will be welded into the seats for many years to come, so we will only rarely be removing the heavy 2nd row seats. The sliding 2nd row seats are VERY helpful for access in our situation. The Odyssey's solution (haven't seen in real life) seems inadequate. I am glad you mentioned that the Sienna had only 1 set of LATCH anchors in the 3rd row. What kind of a soccer-mom car is this? Thankfully all the problems are fixed for 2015 -- return of 4 sets of LATCH, more sound insulation, more structural rigidity, upgraded interior trim, instrument panel that looks like it belongs in a $48k car, disappearance of the super-cheap "wood" trim, heated steering wheel, and softer leather are all great reasons to ditch the 2011 for a 2015. And we did. AWD = Sienna is the only choice for us.
  • no_clutterno_clutter Member Posts: 8
    Just picked up a 2015 Odyssey EX-L after comparing it against a '15 Sienna XLE. Both were comparably equipped. The Sienna drove more comfortably than the Odyssey. I also preferred the exterior styling of the Sienna to the Odyssey. The interior of the Odyssey easily trumped the Sienna, however. The interior layout of the Odyssey felt simple, but elegant. The Sienna's interior was also simple and lacking like something was missing... The dealership experience between Honda and Toyota was also very different. The Honda dealership was very transparent with pricing and had many vehicles available for the same price level. Toyota was very secretive about the pricing and discounts. They wanted to up-charge for everything from the exterior color to the number of miles on the cars. They insisted very strongly that I take the Sienna with almost 300 miles on it and littered with road salt and bird droppings. I asked for another with less miles (about 20 miles on the odometer). They wanted to charge me about $2000 more! (Equally equipped, same color, same trim level).

In the end, if everything was equal, I could have chosen the Sienna. However, the poor buying experience led me to believe that the Toyoa dealership could extend such profit fattening scheme into the service department during my ownership of the van.

Very happy with my Odyssey purchase.
  • discoliondiscolion Member Posts: 2
    no_clutter, do you find yourself adding oil to your EX-L often? Do you have any oil burning problems per the class action lawsuit Honda settled out of court?
  • discoliondiscolion Member Posts: 2

Just picked up a 2015 Odyssey EX-L after comparing it against a '15 Sienna XLE. Both were comparably equipped. The Sienna drove more comfortably than the Odyssey. I also preferred the exterior styling of the Sienna to the Odyssey. The interior of the Odyssey easily trumped the Sienna, however. The interior layout of the Odyssey felt simple, but elegant. The Sienna's interior was also simple and lacking like something was missing... The dealership experience between Honda and Toyota was also very different. The Honda dealership was very transparent with pricing and had many vehicles available for the same price level. Toyota was very secretive about the pricing and discounts. They wanted to up-charge for everything from the exterior color to the number of miles on the cars. They insisted very strongly that I take the Sienna with almost 300 miles on it and littered with road salt and bird droppings. I asked for another with less miles (about 20 miles on the odometer). They wanted to charge me about $2000 more! (Equally equipped, same color, same trim level).

In the end, if everything was equal, I could have chosen the Sienna. However, the poor buying experience led me to believe that the Toyoa dealership could extend such profit fattening scheme into the service department during my ownership of the van.

Very happy with my Odyssey purchase.

no_clutter, do you find yourself adding oil to your EX-L often? Do you have any oil burning problems per the class action lawsuit Honda settled out of court?

• jfgmdsnjfgmdsn Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    discolion - Your post seems to be geared toward generating FUD (fear uncertainty doubt) and does not apply to the post you're responding to, given that the suit you reference was settled, covered only Odysseys from 2009 through the 2013 model year, and no_clutter specifically mentions he purchased a 2015 model. I only post this because I am the owner of a 2014 Odyssey and previously owned a 2002 Odyssey for 10 years and have had a great experience with Honda products (I also own a 2013 Toyota Highlander, so I'm not just married to one badge). Not trying to snipe here, just passing on my experience.