Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Crash-Tested - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Acura
imageCrash-Tested - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

The damage looks worse than it is, but our long-term 2015 Acura TLX still took a beating when another driver broadsided us on the avenue.

Read the full story here

Comments

• grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    Great post, thanks for sharing; glad there were no injuries.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    It'll buff right out...
  • redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52
    I recently crashed my 2014 Lexus IS because some buffoon didn't know how to look both ways before a three point turn. Damages amounted to nearly $20K with slight frame damage.

I feel your pain.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ditto on the no injuries @grijon.

Curious if the cops wrote it up or if any citations were issued and will look forward to the insurance estimate for the fix.
  • prndlolprndlol Member Posts: 140
    Cripes almighty! The dreaded same direction sideswipe everyone hopes never really happens but 'near-misses' instead.
  • sofaonasocksofaonasock Member Posts: 16
    Curious to see if the impact beams inside both door cumpled.

Did any side airbags deploy?
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46
    Of course it was a Camry.
  • yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    edited May 2015
    Wow, the repair costs will be very high for this one. In Oregon, any collision damage over a certain amount must have police called out.
    Btw what happens now? Does Edmunds fix the car and continue with their long-term road test or do they sell it after repairing?
  • tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107

Btw what happens now? Does Edmunds fix the car and continue with their long-term road test or do they sell it after repairing?

That is a really good question, since, according to the fleet introduction, Acura supplied them with this vehicle.

• mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    Wow, I feel for you. Something very similar happened to me about 4 years ago. I was driving down the highway on a clear summer afternoon when a Corolla realized they were about to miss their exit and swerved over two lanes and slammed right into the side of me. I had the advantage of massive weight in that situation (it was my old S550) so my car didn't even flinch. I heard the crash and felt a shove kind of like a huge gust of wind, but didn't deviate from my course at all. The Corolla, on the other hand, bounced off and ended up ramming a second car to my left. I ended up with very similar damage to the Acura and the total repair cost ended up being $28k. Thankfully there was no structural damage and all doors still opened and closed without issue, but my word did it look ugly afterwards.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Glad you're ok.

This is why I've given up riding motos living in LA. Been hit bad twice in 10 years by people like the dood that hit Jason. At least Jason had the Acura's sheet metal to protect him and his passenger.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Getting into an accident on a new car is no biggie as the car hasn't depreciated much. If it was my car, I'd probably push to have it totalled. And you'd pretty much get the full value from the insurance company. When you have an old car (in near perfect condition) is when you get screwed.
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    dldave said:

Of course it was a Camry.

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • NathanCrumbackNathanCrumback Administrator Posts: 508
    Glad Everyone was alright!
    Edmunds Moderator
  • bjarodiyabjarodiya Member Posts: 1
    what happen to blind spot feature
  • frank908frank908 Member Posts: 48
    Finally, the interesting creases and lines that have been missing from all Acuras
  • kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Sorry it happened, but it'll be interesting posts to see how it all plays out (presuming you get it fixed).
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    "We can laugh about it now, because we're alright."
    Just reaffirms my position that the highways are filled with morons that should be removed from the road.
  • ne1butu2ne1butu2 Member Posts: 21
    Figures it was a Camry. Camry, Sienna and Prius owners are the most inattentive drivers on the roads.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    bjarodiya said:

what happen to blind spot feature

Unfortunately they don't yet have one that will blow up the car that is coming at you; it only beeps if you signal for s move in the direction of another car. I'm guessing even if the Camry had that feature the other guy didn't signal so it wouldn't have beeped at him.

• goaterguygoaterguy Member Posts: 64
    Toyota Camry driver... say no more.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38

I recently crashed my 2014 Lexus IS because some buffoon didn't know how to look both ways before a three point turn. Damages amounted to nearly $20K with slight frame damage.

I feel your pain.

Remember to file a diminished value claim against the at-fault party's insurance company!
  • cbrandicbrandi Member Posts: 21
    Nearly had the same thing happen to me. A driver suddenly wakes up and sees his exit, shoots his car toward the exit with no thought to others on the road. Today so many drivers are inattentive. It kind of scares me at times. You can be a victim at any moment regardless of how safe you drive.
  • benson2175benson2175 Member Posts: 68
    Had the exact same thing happen to me a few years ago. Driving my old Infiniti G20 in the left lane of a boulevard when a guy in the right lane decided he wanted to turn left across the left lane and straight into my car. The car that hit me: a Camry. Adding insult to injury it took nearly a month to repair my car, they had to wait for some trim piece, and the loner the insurance company gave me was a grey Corolla. After a week or so I couldn't take driving it any more so I went and got my car with the missing pieces and told them to just call me when the parts arrived. I loved driving that G20 and still miss it to this day.
    willin58 said:

I feel your pain.

Remember to file a diminished value claim against the at-fault party's insurance company!
    Indeed I did, thanks to the advice of others like yourself. I didn't even know something like that existed.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i have read those are near impossible to collect on.

willin58 said:

I feel your pain.

Indeed I did, thanks to the advice of others like yourself. I didn't even know something like that existed.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Insurance companies like to pretend diminished value doesn't exist, and will usually lowball you.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    andres3 said:

Insurance companies like to pretend diminished value doesn't exist, and will usually lowball you.

The key to a successful claim is hiring a reputable appraiser to provide a thorough diminution in value report. I was rear-ended by (surprise) a Camry in 2010 and my 2006 Mazda3 had $9,800 in damage. The car was only worth about $10,500 and it should have been totaled, but the Camry driver's insurer insisted on repairing it! They sent me a check for $107.09 for diminished value a few weeks later, but after an appraisal I got $3,200 instead.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT

andres3 said:

The key to a successful claim is hiring a reputable appraiser to provide a thorough diminution in value report. I was rear-ended by (surprise) a Camry in 2010 and my 2006 Mazda3 had $9,800 in damage. The car was only worth about $10,500 and it should have been totaled, but the Camry driver's insurer insisted on repairing it! They sent me a check for $107.09 for diminished value a few weeks later, but after an appraisal I got $3,200 instead.
    Who was the insurance company that paid out your $3,200 in DV? Some insurance companies act in good faith, others have a STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE to act in BAD FAITH (for example, Mercury Insurance!)
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

andres3 said:

Wow, you got that much for your DV claim. That will bode well for me then. Unfortunately, the whole process takes MONTHS.
    I'm well over a year and haven't seen a dime from the at-fault party or the at-fault insurance company. I'm waiting for a small claims judge that I paid nearly $80 for (not including service process paper fees) to make a correct judgement.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    It's a loaner from Acura, so all this insurance stuff is out of their hands.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Do leases have any "language" about diminished value? I'm leaning towards leasing rather than buying due to all the bad drivers in CA these days. I won't have to fight the huge unethical insurance companies again if I lease regarding DV.....I think.
  • mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    Custom by Crunch bodywork.
  • priusdriver101priusdriver101 Member Posts: 17
    No matter how well that TLX gets fixed, it will never get its value back. At least the curtain airbags didn't deploy. Sorry!

No matter how well that TLX gets fixed, it will never get its value back. At least the curtain airbags didn't deploy. Sorry!

Exactly, even if you can find a miracle rare competent body shop in the United States, they really are incapable of matching the factory quality in many ways and factors. Diminished Value exists for numerous reasons both real and perceived.

The nicer/better the car the more likely DV will be high. Of course, insurance companies will hire appraisers to counter your own; sometimes stating idiocy such as an upper right rail isn't structural.
  • priusdriver101priusdriver101 Member Posts: 17
    Exactly. People spending $35k+ Won't want a crashed car, no matter how small the damage.

Exactly. People spending $35k+ Won't want a crashed car, no matter how small the damage.

Exactly; If I wanted a vehicle assembled and built in CA, I'd of bought one. My S4 is no longer built and assembled in Ingolstadt, Germany. I just wouldn't pay the same dollar amount for one not built in Europe. There's a reason I don't buy VW from Mexico.