Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Five Reasons Why UConnect Rocks - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2015 in Ram
imageFive Reasons Why UConnect Rocks - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Our 2014 Ram 1500 has the 8.4-inch touchscreen with the UConnect interface. It's one of the best technology interfaces available.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    We have the 8.4 UConnect in our 2015 Dodge Journey and I agree with all of these comments. We were frankly bewildered by how awful some systems were when we were new car shopping. It's a big deal, because you have to live with these controls for everything. UConnect, despite being cheaper, really felt far better developed than other systems.
  • Options
    subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    edited May 2015
    Here's a fun DYK, folks. UConnect 8.4 uses RIM/BlackBerry's QNX Neutrino OS. http://www.allpar.com/corporate/tech/uconnect.html
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    edited May 2015
    I knew that! All the cool kids are using QNX. :P

Seriously though, I also had a Journey with the 8.4 Uconnect, and of course it was fantastic. Now I have a Fiat with Uconnect 6.5, which is a mashup of the Uconnect user interface running on the legacy Fiat "Blue & Me" system by Microsoft. Surprisingly, it has been fast and reliable so far (knock on wood).
  • Options
    g35bufg35buf Member Posts: 89
    I just bought a 2014 RAM albeit with the Uconnect 5.0 (RA2) but I have to say that FCA has the gold standard with their interfaces...As noted by ek900 - How can the other mfrs systems be so bad relative to Uconnect? It seems like doing what FCA has done should not be that difficult...We're not talking about massive computing power being required. Uconnect seems to NEVER have a lag issue...
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Member Posts: 13
    I have the 8.4 Uconnect, RA3, unit in my Ram and it's very impressive. Responsive to the point that it's a non-issue, it just works like you'd expect.

Also it's pretty funny, but that sat nav pic at the top of the article has you placed only a few blocks from my house. Small world.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone here with UConnect that's concerned about the recent hacking stories?
  • Options
    briane001briane001 Member Posts: 1
    I'm shocked whenever I read positive reviews of Uconnect. Why do magazines and online contributors continue to push this lie? Does Fiat Chrysler pay for your opinion? This is one of the worst products I have ever seen. I see no mention of the voice control feature which is horrible. I also see nothing mentioning the settings disappearing at random times, may of them safety features. I've used it for over 2 years and I can't find a single redeeming quality. And yes, I have all the updates.
  • Options
    16ram4wdccabbh16ram4wdccabbh Member Posts: 1
    2016 RAM 1500 4WD CREWCAB BIG HORN has 8.4 RA4 11K miles - If you want TRAFFIC on your route from your UCONNECT GPS, DO

NOT WASTE your $500 plus on having it activated!!! It does not show ANY traffic. It gives me off the way

directions at times. But she does tell me when my speed is over the posted limit. My trial expires next month and

I cant see spending $20 a month to only remote start my RAM and occasionally send an address to "Send&Go" app.

That is all I use it for. Oh yeah the monthly "vehicle health reports" are really cool, NOT!!! You can see MORE

on your dash then what is in those reports. $46,000 for an awesome truck with an expensive sorry excuse or a gps.

Considering getting the new Garmin driveassist!!!