Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Cavalier running hot

travis_jtravis_j Member Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in Chevrolet
I have a 2002 2.2SFI cavalier that's running hot I have changed the thermostat water pump and radiator fan and the person I got it from put a used radiator in it no leaks no milky looking oil what could be wrong with it any suggestions will help 149,000 miles on it when the car is at a idle it will run hot while driving it, it will run hotter then normal sometimes it goes to the red zone and others it won't when climbing hills it goes back down to normal most of the time would it be air locked someone broke my bleeder screw off we did manage to take off the thermostat to bleed at once and it ran fine then my fan motor went out and after that put a new fan motor and it started doing it again

Answers

• Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    is cooling system maintaining proper pressure.? if overflow tank does not fill at least partially when engine is hot, then its probably/maybe not maintaining proper pressure?
    also, radiator could be all gunked up and needing to be high-pressure-cleaned at radiator shop.

maybe is the radiator fan belt slipping ? (or is it an electric radiator fan). maybe radiator fan is not spinning as fast as it needs to?

seems you already suspect air bubbles in the cooling system. i suppose that could produce interesting behavior depending on the angle of the car. also, i'm not sure that bleeding air bubbles only through the thermostat could be sufficient.