Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Fuel Economy Update for May - Best Tank Yet, But Still Can't Crack 30 MPG - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in Volvo
imageFuel Economy Update for May - Best Tank Yet, But Still Can't Crack 30 MPG - 2015 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

We still haven't cracked the fuel economy code in our 2015 Volvo S60. Is there a secret to getting 30-plus mpg?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    yellowbalyellowbal Member Posts: 234
    Both the Camry V6 and Accord V6 can actually hit 30mpg on the highway. Twincharging is a fragile EPA gimmick with no real world benefit and a bunch of downfalls.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Come on - those cars are not 3700 lbs., don't cost $47,000 and are not competing with this Volvo. It's 350 lbs. heavier than them, but puts up basically the same performance...so that means it's making quite a bit more power.

So, heavier car with more power = poorer fuel economy.

Those are family sedans...the Volvo is entry-luxury. Not playing in the same sandbox.
  • Options
    ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37
    @fordson1 What does that matter? Price and class have nothing to do with fuel economy. If the EPA claims a certain highway mileage, then it should be able to at least it that. This car has come nowhere close. The Tesla Model S isn't in the same category either, yet it still manages to live up to the hype when it comes to fuel economy. I blame the fact that it is twincharged. I've seen so many cars reviewed by edmunds/cars.com etc that are "boosted" that can't match what they claim.
  • Options
    ajac03 said:

@fordson1 What does that matter? Price and class have nothing to do with fuel economy. If the EPA claims a certain highway mileage, then it should be able to at least it that. This car has come nowhere close. The Tesla Model S isn't in the same category either, yet it still manages to live up to the hype when it comes to fuel economy. I blame the fact that it is twincharged. I've seen so many cars reviewed by edmunds/cars.com etc that are "boosted" that can't match what they claim.

We're mostly all enthusiasts here, and to most of us I think there's some thing about 300+ hp, 3700 lbs. and 0-60 in around six seconds that doesn't add up to 35 mpg on the highway. The LT GTI is 600 lbs ligher, has similar accelerative performance, and is rated at 33 mpg on the highway...2 mpg lower than this Volvo - huh?. Unsurprisingly, that car has gotten 34.5 mpg on the highway - higher than its EPA rating. So there is a LT Edmunds boosted car that CAN do better than the EPA claim.

EPA estimates are for people who can't figure stuff like this out themselves, and that's not necessarily a slam...they're just regular people who need a car. But for me, I know what I know about the technology and the design and can make my own calculations and estimates, and I can't gin up any faux outrage over what the EPA is telling me.
  • Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    A 2.0 liter engine with the S60's low Cd should be able to hit 35 mpg highway, regardless of what its maximum power is - as long as it's driven at the speed limit. We're talking about a car getting 20% below its EPA rating.
    On the other hand, Edmunds staff routinely speed, so hitting EPA highway numbers in the heat and 75-80 mph isn't going to happen.
    I've found that cars get very good fuel economy when driven at the speed limit, and you never have to worry about cops, and you arrive with a calmer head.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Well, depends upon the speed limit. There are places in Texas where the speed limit is 80 mph.

At 60, I agree it should get 35...but some of these figures - like for the GTI vs. the S60...that makes no sense to me, and I think it's borne out in what they're seeing and reporting to us. The GTI got 31.9 mpg on a long highway trip that averaged 77 mph...you're never going to see that mpg on a 77 mph average trip from this Volvo.
  • Options
    ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37
    @fordson1 True. I just wish that while testing fuel economy that Edmunds would actually TRY to get good fuel economy instead of driving faster than the speed limit etc etc. I have an RSX rated at 31 highway and I just recently got 38.8mpg on a long drive so I'll agree that EPA isn't always accurate, however I still think the S60 can do better.
  • Options
    vanillamackvanillamack Member Posts: 13
    My 2015.5 V60 T5 FWD is also well below expectations on mileage. My current tank (half full) is showing 19mpg on the computer between mixed highway and city. I don't leadfoot it..and the Auto stop start happens (annoyingly) all the time.
    I routinely got 30-31mpg (which is higher than the EPA sticker!) on my previous car (BMW 335i) on long highway roadtrips cruising at 80mph with the AC on! I just drove from GA to FL for Memorial Day and I only got 28mpg doing about 75 with the AC on.
    I'm a bit stumped how my current tank can be 19mpg in mixed driving and my old car got better mileage with a bigger, thirstier engine.
    The high mileage rating and regular-unleaded requirement was a key reason I bought the V60.