Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Not Dirty for the Drought - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,112
edited June 2015 in BMW
imageNot Dirty for the Drought - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

With plastic panels and small surface area, the 2014 BMW i3 is easy to wash in drought-ravaged California.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Look up Optimum No Rinse; it is good for light dirt and will help prevent scratches that just a damp cloth will leave. You can wash an entire car with 2 gallons of water.

I once saw a quote on a detailing board that said "every time you touch your cars paint you are either making it worse or making it better depending on what you do" A damp cloth by itself will definitely leave fine scratches that will dull the finish over time.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Just get a silver car. I rarely wash anything other than the windows.
  • ckuersckuers Posts: 21
    I'll second the Optimum No Rinse. PoorBoys Spray and Wipe is a great spray to use on heavy dust/light dirt, too. Anything heavier, and you'll want to go through a coin-op carwash and give the car a good high pressure rinse first.

The real key, as Phillip alluded to, is to turn the towel often and change towels often as well. I'll use 8-10 microfiber towels when using ONR or SW on my 911 when its only lightly soiled (ie. not driven through rain).
  • fordson1fordson1 Posts: 1,512
    Glad I live in an area in which water is not a luxury.
  • joner800joner800 Posts: 80
    that certainly looks like a terry towel in the photo. THAT made me cringe.