Options

Not Dirty for the Drought - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2015 in BMW
imageNot Dirty for the Drought - 2014 BMW i3 Long-Term Road Test

With plastic panels and small surface area, the 2014 BMW i3 is easy to wash in drought-ravaged California.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    Look up Optimum No Rinse; it is good for light dirt and will help prevent scratches that just a damp cloth will leave. You can wash an entire car with 2 gallons of water.

I once saw a quote on a detailing board that said "every time you touch your cars paint you are either making it worse or making it better depending on what you do" A damp cloth by itself will definitely leave fine scratches that will dull the finish over time.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just get a silver car. I rarely wash anything other than the windows.
  • Options
    ckuersckuers Member Posts: 21
    I'll second the Optimum No Rinse. PoorBoys Spray and Wipe is a great spray to use on heavy dust/light dirt, too. Anything heavier, and you'll want to go through a coin-op carwash and give the car a good high pressure rinse first.

The real key, as Phillip alluded to, is to turn the towel often and change towels often as well. I'll use 8-10 microfiber towels when using ONR or SW on my 911 when its only lightly soiled (ie. not driven through rain).
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Glad I live in an area in which water is not a luxury.
  • Options
    joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    that certainly looks like a terry towel in the photo. THAT made me cringe.